While complete and intensive workouts are essential to get the results, you must avoid over-training. If you exhaust your body regularly, sooner or later you will see a drastic drop in your performance and you will lose your pleasure to
work out. Besides, you can have injuries which may make it impossible to train for a long time.
What is it?
Overtraining is a physical, behavioral, and emotional condition that occurs when the volume and intensity of an individual’s exercise exceeds their recovery capacity. They cease making progress, and can even begin to lose strength and fitness. Overtraining is a common problem in weight training, but it can also be experienced by runners and other athletes. Split training can help with overtraining.
What are the most common over-training syndromes?
- Muscle soreness for a long time is among the most common symptoms of over-training. If you still feel sore in your muscles after 3-4 days that means your muscles have not recovered yet. Therefore, you will need to take a rest to provide them time for recovery. Do some lighter physical activities such as walking or yoga exercises.
- You are always thirsty. If you exhaust your body and you do not take in enough water, your body switches into a catabolic state because of the dehydration.
- It can also cause depression, personality changes, concentration loss and other mental problems. Besides your body, it has an affect on your nervous system as well. These symptoms usually come out among those who suffer from body image problems.
- You are often ill. If your body has to concentrate a lot on recovering from the workouts, it has less “power” to protect you from illnesses. If you are often sick, decrease the days you workout or the lengths of the sessions.
- Another sign can be that you regularly suffer from injuries. Your muscles and joints have no time to recover so they are weaker. Anyway, another cause of injuries can be the lack of warming up and stretching as well, you should include them in your program.
- Other symptoms can be lowered self-esteem, altering heart rate and that you cannot improve.
Watch the video to find out more info.
The most important suggestion is to always listen to your body. If you think your body needs resting and you suffer from the mentioned signs frequently, have a break. Evading the gym or fitness training is not always bad.
How You can Commit Over-Training
Running for to Long
If you run too much and do not take in enough water, it can cause overheating and dehydration. Increase the distance you run gradually and always drink enough.
Besides, do not run if it is too hot outside. Run early in the morning or later at night, or use a treadmill.
Using Excessive Weights
I know, lifting larger amount of weights is tempting, but if you use too much that can cause muscle tears and other joint problems. Always warm up and stretch before and get a helper for bigger weights.
Overworking Your Muscles
One of the big mistakes of beginners is overworking their muscles. They do hundreds of reps and a lot of sets thinking that those will help muscle building and burning more calories. In the end, they ruin the muscle fibers which require a lot of time to recover.
If you feel that your particular muscle is getting weaker and weaker after your workouts and you have sore for a long time, reduce the sets and reps and give them more time to rest.
More info in the video.
Exercising with Injury
The worst thing you can do, if you already have some sort of injury, is to exercise. It can cause more compound injuries. Besides, it is impossible to workout efficiently in that state.Related How to Avoid Workout Injuries
Stretching too Far
Stretching is essential to avoid injuries. It also helps to develop strength and flexibility, but you must keep in mind that stretching too far can cause injuries as well. In order to prevent this, warm up and stretch after that.Related What are the Benefits of Stretching and Sample Workouts
You Workout, but You Don’t Eat Enough
Your body needs fuel in order to function properly and if you exercise frequently, it needs even more. Healthy nutrition is critical if you want to build muscles and develop. You need to take in beneficial carbs, fats, protein, vitamins and minerals to provide your body what it needs.Related Find the Ultimate Workout Nutrition Guide here
You Don’t Drink Enough
Dehydration is among the main factors of the mentioned symptoms. No matter what sorts of workout you do, always drink a lot of water and it is especially important if it is hot.
The quantity of water you take in depends on your weight, the climate and the intensity of your session, but 3 liters of water is the minimum per day. Here 17 reasons to drink more water.
I hope, you now understand why training over your body is so dangerous and how you can avoid it. Again the most important is to listen to your body.
Did you like this post? Share with your friends.