If you suffer from lower back pain, or feel uncomfortable using a traditional stationary bike, then a recumbent exercise bike is maybe the best option for you. Most of the people do not like using upright bikes since they put pressure and strain on the back, shoulders and other joints. Also, they are hard to use for overweight people.
The advantage of a recumbent stationary bike is that they come with an ergonomic design and back support that provide a sitting position that avoids stress on joints making working out more comfortably. So, even if you have problems with your lower body, you can use it safely. You can enjoy the cardio, health, fat-burning benefits of cycling in the comfort of your home.
Overall, it is a beneficial choice for anyone who want to get fit at home in a comfortable way.
On this page, you will find everything about this indoor fitness equipment. Comparison and review of the best recumbent exercise bikes, buyer's tips as well as other advice.
Top Rated Recumbent Exercise Bikes Comparison
|CHECK ON AMAZON|
Best Bang for the Buck!
|CHECK ON AMAZON|
Marcy ME 709
|CHECK ON AMAZON|
|CHECK ON AMAZON|
The Most Professional
|CHECK ON AMAZON|
Sunny Health & Fitness
|CHECK ON AMAZON|
|CHECK ON AMAZON|
Which is the best buy?
Considering the features and user experience, Schwinn 230 is the winner for me. But if the price is the main point, all the other recumbent bikes are perfect for an average user.
Exerpeutic 900XL Review
This is a recumbent stationary bicycle that offers cardiovascular workouts with minimal joint and back stress. You can cycle for hours without feeling any discomfort that you may experience in an upright bicycle as it has a padded seat which minimizes pressure on the joints.
Both beginners and experienced users of this exercise bike will feel challenged when they use it for low impact exercise as they can choose their level of endurance and change resistance level whenever they need to you by only turning a knob.
Its design in exceptional as it is intended to fit people of different weight and height as the seat is adjustable to accommodate people from five feet six inches to six feet three inches tall.
Easy to move around the house. When you are pedaling, you are assured of comfort. The pedals are soft enough that you don’t need shoes while on it.
This recumbent exercise bike has 8 magnetic resistances which don’t get in the way as you exercise. It's also responsible for the quietness of the bike. Hence, you can listen to music or watch TV while exercise.
Specifications & Best Features of Exerpeutic 900xl
- Exerpeutic 900xl has a large, easy to read LCD which indicates distance, calories burned, speed, time and heart rate information.
- Eight level magnetic tension control system that allows one to customize their ride to challenge them.
- Precision balanced flywheel, a smooth torque cranking system and V-belt drive that provides a smooth, quiet operation.
- Hand pulse sensors which monitor the heart rate at the hand grips
- Oversized padded seat cushion and backrest for comfort.
- Extended leg stabilizers to prevent movement of the machine even in the most strenuous exercises.
- Transportation wheels for easy mobility
- Large pedals that have straps to prevent foot slippage
- Maximum weight of users is 300lbs.
- High-quality machine that offers value for its price.
- Weighs 63 pounds, measures 54 inches L x 22 inches W x 34 inches H
- 3-year limited warranty.
- The assembly is also not complicated of this model.
Current Price & Reviews
There are a lot of positive customers reviews as customers love this stationary recumbent bike because it is very comfortable to use. Its design makes you want to exercise more as you can get in and off it easily, Exerpeutic 900xl stays in place. It can accommodate a broad range of users.
Another advantage is that the heart rate sensor keeps a record of how your cardio workout is going. The downside of this machine is that it has to be set manually, but this is quite common for such a fitness equipment with a low price.
I would recommend one to buy the Exerpeutic 900XL Recumbent bike as it comes at a low price. It offers what you pay for. It is easy to use, affordable and a durable exercise machine.
Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike Review
The Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike offers a wide array of workout options that fit into almost anyone’s budget and fitness goals. With 22 programmed workouts, it allows to track performance as you are able to download your exercise data. I think it's the best recumbent exercise bike someone can invest into.
It lets choose the intensity of your workout, from fun workouts to workouts that really push the heart rate up
- Two LCD window system that allows to monitor up to 13 different feedbacks on the display.
- Ten resistance quick keys that will quickly take from easy to hard and back.
- Distance, time, calorie tracking with compatibility with MyFitnessPal/USB data transfer function to the Schwinn Connect website.
- Has a USB charging port
- 22 workout programs, including 2 fitness tests (1 beginner, 1 advanced), 9 profile programs, 8 heart rate control (4 beginner, 4 advanced), 2 custom user defined, 1 quick start, and other additional features
- A vented seat back combined with a vented seat bottom with contoured leg area to make the workout comfortable
- A walk through frame for ease of access
- 2 integrated levelers, a large mid-frame support, a single piece frame for an incredibly solid platform
- 20 levels of eddy current resistance with high inertia, high-speed perimeter flywheel that is weighted for a quiet workout
- 2 user profiles for multiple users
- Transport wheels, 3-speed fan, a side-mounted water bottle holder
- Maximum user weight of 300 pounds
- A slider seat rail system with a fore and aft seat adjustment, and a quick and easy lever
- 3 LED tracking lights
- Acoustic chamber speakers for quality sound
- Dimensions of the assembled bike are 64 x 27.7 x 49.9 inches
- 10-year warranty on frame, 2-year mechanical warranty, 1-year electrical warranty, 6-month warranty on wear items, 90days labor warranty.
It has received very positive reviews from customers as it offers everything you needs from a great bike at a lower price than the other recumbent bikes within its price range.
- Easy to assemble, with a well-illustrated, step-by-step manual.
- Very affordable as well as convenient.
The user manual of the Schwinn 230 is not very clear. However, you can download or order an additional guide to be able to figure out the console programming.
I would highly recommend the Schwinn 230 if you are looking to lose weight and get toned, all with maximum comfort. It is a great bike that gives enjoyable exercises as well as more intense workouts.
Marcy Recumbent Mag Cycle Review
You are able to perform a number of exercises on this recumbent bike just the same as the larger and more expensive bikes. The exercises that are done on it help firm and tone your physique. It also increases the cardiovascular endurance as you burn calories. As you work out, your legs are extended to the front rather than under your body hence minimal pressure the joints.
Marcy Me 709 offers much safety due to the various features and its design. The bike is safe for heavy cyclists without the fear of tripping over. It stays stable even with workouts performed under high resistance level. Its design is in such a way that it fits conveniently in small spaces. The step-through frame design allows easy entry and exit from the bicycle as there is a gap in between the armrest that provides access by bigger people.
- 8 levels of preset magnetic resistance which delivers an exceptionally smooth, quiet ride. The level change is done manually.
- Large console display that tracks distance, speed, time as well as calories burned.
- Has a high-density foam seat which offers comfort and support. Adjustable to accommodate any body size.
- Contoured foam covered handle bars for easy grip
- The pedals are counterbalanced to enable one to have a smooth pedaling experience and a textured surface for grip. It also a strap that secures the feet in place. Designed to be used with athletic shoes
- Wheels for easy transport and moving around
- Easy to adjust tension tightening knob for the different fitness levels.
- The back half of the bike can be brought closer and moved further away from the pedals so as to adjust to your height.
- Has a 2 inch 14 gauge molded ABS steel tubing. The frame has a 2 tone painted finish durable powder coat finish.
- Battery powered by AA batteries
- The model comes in trendy black/ gray/ copper combination.
- It measures 55.5" W x 25" H x 37.5" D
- Weight capacity is 300lbs
- Easy to assemble
- Two year manufacturer’s warranty.
This recumbent exercise bike has positive reviews from people who have used it. They say that it is very easy and comfortable to work out using this bike. It's also best for the home gym because almost anyone, no matter their weight can use it. The disadvantage of this bike is that it doesn’t come with preset workout programs, but you can always check out appropriate workouts on YouTube.
If you want an easy way to increase your cardiovascular endurance and at the same time shed off unwanted weight, then the ME-709 magnetic recumbent exercise bike is the best bike to get.
Exerpeutic 400XL Review
This indoor recumbent bike provides you with the assurance of a really good workout because it has 8 magnetic resistance levels ranging from easy to hard, which makes it an ideal workout tool for people of all fitness levels. It is very comfortable and allows to burn calories, tone, lose the fat, build muscles in a very comfortable position. You could actually read a book, listen to music or watch TV!
The Exerpeutic 400XL folding recumbent exercise bike folds up, so it is very easy to store. It can fit into a closet or into a corner in your house, making sure that you enjoy the benefits of a good workout without dedicating an entire room to equipment.
- Large LCD display which is easy to read for easy monitoring of speed, time, calories burned, distance, heart rate
- Semi-recumbent design for easy entry and exit. Ideal for people who don’t like upright bikes or those recovering from injury
- Precision balanced flywheel and a V-belt double-drive transmission system which ensures a very smooth, quiet workout
- It features an 8 level magnetic tension control system which allows to adjust the level of tension for easier or more difficult workouts
- Leg stabilizers for safe operation when the bike is unfolded.
- It can be folded to at least half its size. It's so uniquely compact
- Hand pulse sensors on the handlebars which target the heart rate zone
- Large seat cushion and backrest for users of any size.
- ITransport wheels for mobility
- Adjustable to fit 5 feet 2 inches to 6 feet 2 inches user height
- It supports up to 300-pound weight capacity
- Measures 19W x 46H x 33L inches
- Comes with a one year warranty
The Exerpeutic 400XL folding recumbent exercise bike has received a lot of positive reviews from customers. Users love for its ease of assembly, recumbent design as well as its foldable nature.
- Very sturdy
- Practically very silent, you can watch TV or listen to music
- Budget friendly / very convenient
It would have been great if the Exerpeutic 400XL came with a chest strap for monitoring of the heart rate that one just wears and goes on to work out. However, the bike has handgrip sensors that are able to monitor heart rate very effectively.
I would highly recommend it due to its portability and space efficiency. It is ideal if you are looking to exercise in a very comfortable position or if you are nursing and injury.
Schwinn 270 Review
If you are searching for a professional bike that is packed with tons of programs and several other extras Schwinn 270 is for you. It comes with 29 programs, 25 levels of resistance making it suitable for everyone in your family. Customers love it for its inbuilt speakers, comfortable seat, and the adjustment options.
Sunny Health & Fitness Pink Magnetic Bike Review
This ergonomically designed bike helps perform your workout, burn the calories, tone muscles, and lose the weight with maximum comfort due to its recumbent position. You are able to work out and at the same time can enjoy a book or a movie on TV!
The pedals on the Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Exercise Bike allow to pedal both forward and backward, giving the opportunity of working out all the muscles of your thighs and legs without having to use another equipment.
- Comes in a striking pink hue, making it very attractive
- Easy to read LCD screen which displays distance, speed, time, calories burned and hand pulse
- Steel frame with stabilizers that keep it from wobbling.
- Comes with an adjustable magnetic resistance system with eight different levels, which helps adjust the intensity of your workout
- The magnetic resistance it comes with is great as it does not require maintenance and keeps the pedaling motion very smooth
- Equipped with a heart rate sensor
- It features a cushioned back and seat for maximum comfort
- The frame is adjustable allowing to control the distance from the seat to the pedals, making it suitable for people of varied height
- The bike comes with two sets of handlebars, one at the side of the seat, and the second at the front by the console. Both sets of handlebars are well covered to provide comfort and a good grip even after the hands sweat.
- The foot pedals are textured to provide a good grip to keep your feet in place.
- Very quiet as you work out
- Weight capacity of 220pounds
- Measures 53L x 34H X 24W
- Comes with a limited 90-day warranty
Received great reviews from customers, which gives a clear indication that it is very popular. It has an attractive color and meets a lot of customer expectations for great cardio workouts.
- Very budget friendly
- Very stable as well as sturdy
- It comes partly assembled, therefore very easy to finish assembling.
At first, it may be a little difficult to adjust the straps on the foot pedals, as these are plastic that have holes in them that you need to fit onto a tab on the pedal. However, with time the plastic softens up and it gets much easier. It is also possible to use the pedals without the straps as slipping off them is unlikely if the bike has been properly adjusted to your height.
This is overall a great bike for people looking to increase activity in their life or for those recovering from an injury (to be used only with doctor’s authority). It's also light and very affordable. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for an attractive, high-quality bike
Nautilus R614 Review
The Nautilus R614 Recumbent Bike is a great home workout equipment for people of all fitness levels including those recovering from injuries. You will enjoy working out in an extremely comfortable position as you burn the calories, build muscles, lose the weight, and tone your body.
It comes with transport wheels for ease of mobility. This means that you can use the bike in a certain room in your house and store it in a different room altogether with a lot of ease.
- Features 20 resistance levels for a very wide range of workout intensity.
- 22 workout programs which include 9 profile programs, 8 heart rate programs with custom settings, 2 fitness test programs, 2 user profiles and quickstart.
- DualTrack two blue backlit LCD window system.
- High inertia, high-speed drive system with a weighted flywheel for a very smooth, quiet and consistent workouts.
- Vented seat bottom and back for more comfort when working out.
- The handle bars grips have a heart rate monitor.
- It features in-console speakers with MP3 or iPod player input port.
- Bluetooth, USB data transfer functionality to MyFitnessPal or Nautilus Connect, so you can store workout data.
- Media shelf to place a laptop or tablet for a very enjoyable workout experience while you pedal.
- The exercise bike features a 3-speed adjustable cooling fan to keep you cool during a workout.
- It has acoustic chamber speakers for quality big sound.
- Water bottle holder for hydration during a workout.
- Transport wheels for ease of mobility.
- The maximum user weight is 300 pounds.
- Ten-year warranty on frame, two-year warranty on parts, one-year warranty on electronics, 90-day labor warranty.
- If you purchase it on Amazon, you'll get free shipping.
This Nautilus recumbent bike has received a lot of positive reviews from the point of assembly to use. It is also very effective in terms of cost and delivers what only high-end bikes which are much more expensive can deliver.
- Easy to assemble. It is accompanied by a step-by-step manual.
- Very affordable
- Stable due to a large footprint
It would be great if this stationary bike cames with the ability to use a chest strap for monitoring the heart rate. However, the Nautilus R614 recumbent exercise bike has a heart rate monitoring through the hand grips.
It's a great piece of equipment that I highly recommend for every person, no matter your fitness level. It is very effective and high quality, thus a great value for the money. Its ability to connect to mobile devices, download exercise data, track performance from workout to workout makes it very competitive compared to other exercise bikes that are much more costly.
What are recumbent stationary bikes good for?
Using a seated exercise bike with proper nutrition can help to lose weight. This type of workout burns calories efficiently on a comfortable way.
Even if you have lower limb joint problems, this type of training is the safest, but always consult with a doctor before. Also, it is useful rehabilitation equipment for those who had lower body injury.
What to look for?
There are a lot of models you can choose from in wide price range. As with everything, the more pricey products come with more functions making the cardio training more efficient and the usage more comfortable.
Here are few things to pay attention to before buying one.
- It should have a sturdy, adjustable as well as comfortable seat. There are models with wider or narrower, harder or softer seat. Pick one that you like cycling on. Also, the adjustable seat is important to set the machine to your height.
- Resistance is another crucial factor. There are bikes with only a few levels while others support dozens. If you want to change the resistance level during training, which is recommended for interval training), the more level it has, the better. Also, as you will get used to this type of training, you will need more challenging levels.
- Resistance type. There are air and magnetic models. The magnetic is maybe better since it is not so noisy than the air ones.
- Programming. The best recumbent bikes come with inbuilt programs. These programs let have personalized workouts based on fitness level, age, gender, and weight. Also, there are heart rate controlled workout programs.
- Display. That is the function that shows information about the cycling workout such as speed, distance, time, burned calories, revolutions per minute (RPM), etc. They are important to know how hard you exercise, the info will motivate you for sure. Also, you can set the resistance level and different programs on the display.
- Heart-rate monitor. Cheaper models do not usually come with this feature, although it is very beneficial. With the help of it, you can exercise in safe zone, or you can use programs based on heart rate leading to more efficient training.
- Weight limit. Recumbent stationary bicycles can handle more weight than the upright ones. That is why they are more suitable for overweight people. But, do not forget to check the weight limit.
- Pedals. Avoid bikes with narrow pedals and without strapping. If they are too narrow and do not hold your feet, it will be very uncomfortable to pedal in the long run.
- Storage. The most professional models are foldable. If you live in an apartment, keep the storage feature in mind when you buy one of them.
How to use it efficiently
Using a recumbent exercise bike is pretty straightforward. Just set the level or the program, and you are ready to go. However, here are a few tips, if you have not tried it yet. Check them here.
While this cardio equipment provides a safe way to have cardio exercises at home, it does not mean it's only for beginners, seniors or ones with health problems. The modern recumbent exercise bicycles come with various functions and levels to make the training more challenging and personalized so that it can be beneficial for those at better fitness level.
Have you got any questions? Need help? Drop a comment below and we'll help you.
Did you find the best recumbent exercise bike for you? Share with friends!
Last update on 2017-05-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API