As “cool as a cucumber”, as the idiom says. And it is absolutely true since this vegetable is really cool! The health benefits of cucumbers are numerous.
It holds a lot of various types of beneficial components supporting your health in different ways. It is also versatile since we can consume it in several ways, even raw. There is no question that the cucumber is among the healthiest foods.
Did you know that cucumber is in the same plant family as the watermelon? And that is a real superfood family. Each of them high in water, rich in nutrients and low in calories. Hence, they must be on your plate.
What kind of vitamins and minerals does cucumber have?
As you see from the following nutrition facts, it contains a vitamin C, vitamin A. It also holds quite a lot of potassium and magnesium.
Benefits of Eating Cucumbers
- It is a cancer-fighting green since it contains polyphenol a chemical that is responsible for the color of the veggie. Studies have proved that polyphenols are potent anti-cancer chemicals.
- Do you suffer from bad breath? Crunch a cucumber! It kills and washes out the bad bacteria in your mouth that are responsible for the bad odor.
- If you want to have a well-working digestive system then consume cucumbers. Almost 90% of it is water, and it has a lot of fiber as well. Fiber and water are the two most valuable things for a healthy digestive system.
- Weight loss with this superfood. Rich in fiber and water, low in calories, nutritious. That is what you need to consume if you want to lose weight.
- A healthy heart with the help of potassium. This mineral is vital for the health of the cells, the proper function of the nervous system and it is well-known being a natural cure against high blood pressure.
- The vitamin A and C content are both strong antioxidants supporting your immune system and keeping your cells healthy.
- If you suffer from some sort of inflammation then eating this green can help your body. Its components reduce the inflammation responses. That is why it is used for skin care to get rid of acne, for example.
How to Eat More Cucumbers
The best is that there are so many ways you can include it in your diet.
- You can put it into your sandwiches and salads.
- You can use it for making juices and smoothies.
- Another great option is to make pickles.
- Or just eat them raw as I usually do.
Do you want a real refresher? Make cucumber water which is an excellent drink to get energy and detoxify your body.
Watch the recipe video how you can make a cucumber water at home.
Unfortunately, the agriculture uses so many types of chemicals and other methods to produce more and better-looking veggies. But the price is that these vegetables are less nutritious and even hold harmful chemicals.
Hence, try to buy from organic farmers or if you have a small garden grow your own cucumbers. That is what I do with my mom. The difference between the taste of the cucumbers from the shop and ours is incredible!
Now you know why cucumbers are so cool. They are delicious and healthy vegetables that can be used in many ways. There is no doubt that it is a superfood fighting diseases and supporting healthy living.
Do you want to learn other foods that help you to be healthy and fit? Then, do not forget to subscribe or follow us for more healthy eating secrets.
Did you learn something useful? Share with your friends.