In a gym, there is usually a lot of types of weight training equipment and various machines, but most of them are unused. You do not have to have all those things at home to have complete strength training unless you have thousands of bucks to spend.
I did not have so much money when I started to build my home gym, so I only focused on the things that are essential. What are these? Read on!
I believe dumbbells are the most useful workout equipment for home. With the help of them we can strengthen all the body parts. We can perform compound exercises as well as ones for isolation.
Personally, I like working out with dumbbells because they provide a full range of motion, and the movements are natural. Besides, dumbbell exercises train secondary muscles since it is harder to keep the balance and the proper move.
You can buy usual ones and adjustable dumbbells.
I do not like single dumbbells since they need a lot of space, and the dumbbell rack is an extra cost. However, you can buy a single one for some bucks, and you can buy more once you have more money to spend.
There are two types of adjustable dumbbells.
One type is when you can take off or put on the various weight plates. I have this version, and it works fine since I have a lot of weight plates in different sizes that are compatible. You can buy a complete set at affordable price.
And there are unique adjustable dumbbells that come with a tray. With a click, you can choose the amount of weight you want to use. There is no question that this sort of dumbbell is the best considering that it is an all in one solution, takes no place, and you can alter the amount of weight quickly. However, these products are a bit more expensive.
Recommended: Best Adjustable Dumbbells Review
Here are the 3 best selling dumbbell sets right now on Amazon.
- Each dumbbell adjusts from 5 to 52.5 pounds; adjusts in 2.5-pound increments up to the first 25 pounds
- Lets you rapidly switch from one exercise to the next
- SET OF 2 DUMBBELLS - 105 LBS TOTAL: TWO 16"x1.15" handles, SIXTEEN 5-pound plates, FOUR 2.5-pound plates, FOUR 1.25-pound plates, FOUR collars handles, shipped in two packages.
- CAST IRON WEIGHT PLATES FIT 1.15-INCH STANDARD BAR: Accommodate all standard 1.15-inch handles. Durable cast iron plates covered with black paint finish preventing rust and corrosion for lifetime use
- Pair of adjustable dumbbell weights for efficient, cost-effective strength training
- Adjusts from 3 to 24 pounds in 3-pound increments (3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 24 pounds)
Barbell with Weights
Barbell is another vital strength training equipment that is required for the most beneficial compound exercises such as the deadlift, bench press, and squat. It is maybe the most important weight lifting equipment since it allows to handle huge amount of weight. The best is if you get Olympic barbells since those are the highest quality ones and those are standard equipment for weight lifting.
If you have weight plates before buying a barbell always check if it is compatible with them. You can also buy complete barbell weight sets.
Here are the most popular home gym equipment for sale.
- 100 LB WEIGHT SET Gold Gym Weights Lifting Barbell Exercise Plates Fitness
- Build strength and muscle mass effectively with 105 lb. set of weight training gear
- Set includes (2) 20 lb. weights, (4) 10 lb. weights, and (4) 5 lb. weights
- Save time and money working out at home with the US Weight 55 LB Weight Set
- Includes (2) 5 lb. weights, (4) 10 lb. weights, (1) barbell bar, (2) locking spring clips
Finally, you will need a massive weight bench with an adjustable board. There are simple products and ones that provide extra functions such as leg extension, and they are only a bit more expensive.
No matter which you choose, it is crucial to buy a sturdy and stable one since you may lift heavy weights on it. Always read specifications and the user reviews before buying one. I know, there are cheap weight benches, but as it is said “You get what you pay for”. If it wobbles, you will not be able to do the exercises comfortably and safely.
Here is demonstration how many ways you can use a good bench.
Here are the 3 most popular weight machines on Amazon right now.
- The perfect starter bench Designed with a compact frame design
- Easy assembly Constructed with steel tubing, foam rollers, comfortable high density seat and back pad
- COMPATIBLE WITH MOST 6' and 7' WEIGHT SET BARS. (Since the outer catch width is 38.5", the length between collars of the bar you intend to use with this bench must be greater than 38.5". Please check your weight set bar manufacturer's dimensions and specifications to ensure compatibility.)
- 7-POSITION ADJUSTABLE BACKREST: Multiple Decline/Flat/Incline/Military Positions for versatility in one machine
- Independent Utility Bench can be used separately or moved out of the way allowing you to perform squats and other exercises without obstruction
- 6-roll leg developer on this Gold's Gym bench builds and develop quads, hamstrings, glutes and hip-flexors
It is useful for doing squats and deadlift, but it is helpful for doing other types of exercises as well. If you can afford I recommend having one since they are very versatile. However, keep in mind that it needs quite a lot of space and they are not cheap.Recommended: Check out our detailed guide to power racks here.
Here is why a power rack is so beneficial for weight lifting.
I think these are the most valuable weight training equipment that you need for home workouts. If you have these you strengthen all the mayor muscles groups at home.
Here is some more strength training equipment that are very beneficial but not necessary.
Kettlebell training is not just a fad, but it is a real killer. There are various workouts to build and strengthen muscles, burn fat and build endurance. They are not so expensive, and you can buy adjustable kettlebells that let you change the amount quick and easy. It is a very versatile and cheap weight lifting equipment.
Power Tower (Pull up & Dip Stations)
There is no question that a power tower station is the most beneficial fitness equipment for doing bodyweight workouts. It is an enormous mistake if you neglect bodyweight exercises from your workout routine. They help to improve your strength drastically and burn more body fat.
With the a help of a power tower, you can strengthen your entire upper body and core muscles. It is especially valuable equipment for back, triceps, and chest workouts.Recommended: Check out the our ultimate guide to pull up and dip stations here.
Here is how many ways you can use a power tower.
I believe free weights are the best for muscle and strength building. Although, it is always good to add some variety to the routine. Weight training machines are better for muscle isolation, for beginners and for those who just want to have strength training without picking weights.
If you can afford, buying one is certainly not a bad idea. These weight lifting machines provide a lot of functions that help muscle and strength development. They are especially useful for women.
Recommended: Best Home Gyms Worth Every Penny
Building your gym seems to be a pricey thing, but from my experience I have to say it is worth the money. You can have workouts whenever you want from the comfort of your home. There is no need to wait for the weight training equipment, and you can even save a lot of money considering that gym memberships are pretty high these days.
- You do not have to purchase everything at once, get a pair of dumbbells or a barbell with weights. You can start building muscle and strength with those.
- One more thing. Before buying anything always check the specifications of the products and the customer reviews. It is worth to pay a little bit more for a higher quality product. You will use it for long years.
- Finally, always check if there are discounts and the “frequently bought together” option, you can save a lot of money. You can find weight training equipment for sale on Amazon almost always.
Recommended: How to Build a Home Gym
(Disclaimer: The product lists above are updated once a day, so the the prices and the items may differ.)
Did you find this guide to weight training equipment useful? Share with friends!
Last update on 2017-04-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API