If you are searching for ab exercise equipment for home workouts, then you may have already bumped into several products.
I have to say most of the items, mainly the “As Seen on TV” items, are useless. They are advertised as the ultimate solution to building six-pack abs in a short time or without doing hard workouts. Don’t let yourself be fooled. The marketers know how to sell garbage.
However, there are a few proven home gym equipment that works. With the help of them, you can have more efficient core workouts to tone and strengthen your muscles at home.
Which is the most efficient?
Below you can find the best ab workout machines that are recommended by experts, and I know from my experience that works.
- 1 Best Ab Machines for Home – A Quick Overview
- 2 1. Adjustable Sit Up Bench
- 3 2. Power Tower – Complete Upper Body Workout
- 4 3. Ab Wheel – For Extreme Core Strength
- 5 4. Roman Chair – For Strong Lower Back
- 6 5. Cable Crossover Machine – For Weighted Ab Exercises
- 7 6. Fitness Ball
- 8 7. Medicine Ball – Increase resistance
- 9 8. Battle Rope – Exciting Way to Train
- 10 9. Resistance Band – Cheap and Versatile
- 11 9. Weighted Hula Hoop for Fun
- 12 Detailed information on ab workout equipment for home
- 13 FAQ
Best Ab Machines for Home – A Quick Overview
1. Adjustable Sit Up Bench
Adjustable sit up benches are great for anyone since you can change the angle of the board to increase or decrease the resistance. The higher the level, the more challenging to do sit-ups. Plus, it can be used for several other workouts, for example, for incline leg raise or hyperextension. So, you can train your entire core. It is my favorite abs workout machine to get progressive overload to my abdominal muscles from time to time. (more)
What is the best ab bench?
- ADJUSTABLE: With 12 levels of decline adjustment on a 47 inch rail using a locking pop-pin and a leg holder, this XMark Adjustable Ab Bench will target your ab muscles and challenge anyone from fitness novices to the most dedicated of athletes
- CONVENIENCE: Features a bullhorn handlebar for easier and safer mounting and dismounting of the ab bench. Rear transport wheels make moving this bench a breeze. Easily position it in any area of your workout space or roll it out for easy storing
2. Power Tower – Complete Upper Body Workout
A power tower is the best if you want to do bodyweight exercises, such as pull-ups, chin-ups, and dips. Thanks to the vertical knee raise station, you can do knee raises, leg lifts, and other moves for your abs and obliques. It is a very versatile piece of home exercise equipment for total upper body training. (details)
What’s the best?
- VERSATILE DIP STAND: The 4-station VKR Power Tower takes exercise back to the basics. Use it for vertical knee and leg raises, as a dip station, as a lat/pull-up bar, or as push-up bars. You'll have enough workout options to tone your entire body
- TONE MUSCLES: With so many different workout possibilities, you'll be able to easily do strength training, targeting specific muscle groups without the need for weights. Tone your shoulders, biceps, chest, legs, and even abdominal muscles
3. Ab Wheel – For Extreme Core Strength
With an ab wheel, you can train all parts of your abdomen using your bodyweight. It requires an existing power so that it might not be for beginners. Compact and cheap abdominal trainer, but very efficient. (More)
What’s the best buy?
- Ultra-wide ab roller with built-in resistance and ergonomic handles to help maximize results of ab roll-out exercises
- Interior kinetic engine uses a carbon steel spring to provide resistance and amplify abdominal and arm workout
4. Roman Chair – For Strong Lower Back
With the help of a Roman chair, you can strengthen your lower back, but you can also do other abdominal exercises with it. Strong lover back and spine muscles are critical if you lift weights, plus makes your posture much better. The glute hamstring developer is a more advanced item but costs more. (details)
- VERSATILE EQUIPMENT – This training bench can be used for a wide variety of abdominal workouts. It helps strengthen the lower back while targeting the glutes and hamstring muscles for superb definition. Carve out the rock-hard abs you’ve always wanted with this equipment that allows you to perform challenging workouts to develop your core.
- HYPEREXTENSION BENCH – The Marcy Roman Chair features a back hyperextension station that lets you position yourself correctly while performing a variety of movements. Sit and lean backward to develop your core or flip over to perform back workouts with targeted motions.
5. Cable Crossover Machine – For Weighted Ab Exercises
It’s a typical gym machine that you can apply in numerous ways for shaping and building muscles. There are many drills to work your core with it by adding extra resistance to the moves. The cable crunch is a powerful weighted exercise to develop the size of your abs. (more)
Top compact machine.
- SPACE SAVER- Versatile, space saver provides the opportunity to incorporate strength training with the use of a cable system in your home or light-commercial gym. Perfect workout gift to give for a new home gym.
- DUAL PULLEY SYSTEMS- With 16 adjustment positions to allow the user to perform a wide range of bilateral and unilateral exercises. DOUBLE BAR TRACK- Provides stability and allows the plate loaded carriage system to glide smoothly along the tracks, supplying the perfect amount of resistance.
6. Fitness Ball
Stability balls can be utilized in several ways to work out at home. You can also do many types of ab exercises with it, for example, crunches. It makes the typical practices more difficult because it is not stable, so the core muscles should be activated. No matter what you do because of the unstable surface, your core is activated to keep your balance. (details)
Which one to buy?
- EXTRA THICK AND ANTI-BURST: one of the highest density exercise balls in the market. 2000 micrometers in thickness and can resist up to 2200 lbs.
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL AND ANTI-SLIP: Professional quality with non-toxic PVC material, free of BPA & heavy metals
7. Medicine Ball – Increase resistance
Exercise balls are versatile tools for strength training. For example, you can add additional load to your ab exercises (Russian twist, crunches, etc.). If you feel a move does not support your development anymore, grab a med ball for an additional load.
Which one to get?
- HIGH-DENSITY MEDICINE EXERCISE BALL: The Weight Ball is filled with sand to prevent it from bouncing or rolling and enhance the balance and firmness of the ball
- EASY TO GRIP SURFACE: Feature a grooved and textured PVC shell to help you get a firm grip on the ball even with sweaty hands
8. Battle Rope – Exciting Way to Train
Not a must-have, but a great tool to add extra versatility to your abs workout routine. Battle rope training is excellent for the core and the entire upper body. It enables you to do activities that sculpt your abs and obliques. Plus, it is excellent for your arms and shoulders. On top of that, it is a more exciting way to train. (details)
Which one to buy?
- Nylon Sleeve Covered - POWER GUIDANCE Battle ropes are all nylon sleeves covered to protect the rope from friction, more durable and will last many years of usage
- 100% Dacron - More durable and heavier than the blend of PolyPro and PolyDac materials. Free bonus! Battle rope anchor included
9. Resistance Band – Cheap and Versatile
The rubber band is another beneficial home fitness equipment that can be used in several ways. With the band, we can add extra resistance to the moves. They are particularly useful for standing activities.
9. Weighted Hula Hoop for Fun
The hula hoop is not the most powerful equipment for abs, but it is a funny way to move more and shape the abdominal muscles. The weighted ones are not easy to handle for sure. It may seem too easy, but after doing it for some minutes, you will feel it. Furthermore, since your entire body moves, it helps to burn more calories, so it supports weight loss.
Detailed information on ab workout equipment for home
The decline ab bench is still one of the most beneficial abdominal workout equipment at the gym if it is comfortable and adjustable. You may have met negative statements about sit ups that they are bad for the back, etc. But that is only true if you make the moves poorly on it. If you check out an abdominal training of a fighter or a bodybuilder, you will see that they always utilize the ab bench. I think there is no better proof than that.
With the help of this ab machine, you can perform many drills to strengthen each part of the core, and even use weights if you are a pro. Also, adjustable sit up benches allow you to choose from different resistance levels by setting the angle of the board. Hence, it is suitable for almost everyone. It is among the most versatile and efficient core machine.
Are there any cons?
Avoid cheap, non-sturdy, and wobbling models. High-quality chairs are a bit more expensive, but they are worth the extra cost.
Buying guide: Best Sit Up Bench Reviews
Workout towers are not the typical abdominal equipment, but since they have a pull-up bar and dips sections, you can perform various hanging leg raises. (captain’s chair leg raise).
Leg raises are among the most beneficial ab workouts, and they should be included in your routine.
Besides, with the help of a tower, you will be able to perform different exercises to train your lower and upper body muscle groups. It is a remarkably versatile item and among the best stomach exercise machines for home use.
A pull up dip station needs space, although there are compact models. Hence, check the dimensions before purchasing one.
Find the top-rated towers loved by users.
Buying guide: Best power tower reviews
I believe it is the best abs equipment as we can strengthen all parts of the core. Plus, it is useful for the chest, arms, shoulders, and hamstrings. It provides complete core training.
The usage is pretty straightforward. You need to roll it in and out, but there are a few other ab wheel exercises, for instance, when you start from a standing position.
The best ab rollers come with unique technologies that support the movement to make it more smooth, safe, and efficient. Also, the handles are ergonomically designed. Plus, we have to mention the easy storage.
Are there any cons?
To use the ab roller correctly and efficiently, you should already have a solid core, especially the lower back muscles. So it is maybe not the best solution for beginners.
Guide: How to use the ab roller
A big mistake that beginners commit is that they only focus on their abdominal muscles and forget their lower back muscle groups.
Training the lower back is essential not only to get rid of the fat around your hips and waist but also crucial for a firm core. Those muscles take part in almost every move you make, and if it is weak, it may lead to pain and injury.
With a Roman chair, you will be able to do the hyperextension that is the most beneficial move to strengthen the lower parts of the back (and your legs and hamstrings). Besides, you can do sit-ups and crunches, that’s why I list it among ab machines.
Any cons? While hyper-extension is a powerful move, always consult your doctor before if you have back pain.
Buying guide: Top roman chair reviews
The cable machine is a versatile piece of gym machine to perform weighted ab exercises such as kneeling or standing crunches. These moves help to improve core muscles and with that functional strength. The only downside of getting one is that a cable machine requires space and more expensive compared to the other piece of equipment here. Although, you can use it for numerous types of strength training activities.
Shopping tips: Best cable machine reviews
Stability balls are usually underestimated ab workout equipment. But with the help of it, you can perform many powerful abdominal exercises.
Since you have to keep your balance during the movements, it works a lot of muscles at once, especially the core muscles. It lets you make enhanced crunches, sit-ups, planks, and others on it. And it is pretty cheap.
Any cons? Well, there are not any. Once you get familiar with it, you will love it.
As you see, there are many beneficial abdominal exercise equipment out there. But keep in mind, to build a flat stomach, proper nutrition is crucial. Tweak your diet, have cardio workouts, and train your abs 3-4 times week with or without ab exercise machines to get a belly you dream about.
Do you need to use core workout machines?
Well, I have to say it is not necessary since there are a lot of bodyweight exercises for abs.
On the other hand, with the help of these tools, you will be able to increase or decrease the load. You will be able to target your midsection better, and that leads to better muscle stimulation. And you may be able to burn more belly fat.
Will using any ab exercise equipment make me flat stomach or six-pack?
If you are lean and have just a thin layer of belly fat, you will see results pretty fast.
However, if your body fat percentage is high, in that case, you need to get rid of it. How? By having a balanced diet and fat-burning cardio workout. Also, do weight training to increase muscle mass, which leads to increased metabolism. Learn more about six pack machines here.
What about the other ab machines at the gym?
Of course, there are many other gym machines for abs, but in my opinion, they are not as good as they seem to be. Plus, you do not have to go to the gym to shape your abdomen.
What should I look for when buying stomach exercise equipment for home?
If you are overweight, always check the weight capacity to know if it is suitable for you to work out safely.
Then, you have to decide if you need multi-purpose devices such as a power tower or just one for your ab workout. If you have nothing at home yet, then it is better to invest in a more versatile piece. Hence, you can save money and space.
Finally, think about if the product is suitable for your fitness level or you can adjust it. For example, if you are a total beginner, an ab roller is not the best option since it is hard to use. On the other hand, if you are at an advanced level, a sit-up bench that comes with only low degrees will not serve your development.
Is a core exercise machine more effective for toned abs than floor moves?
We use tools for the following reasons. Firstly, they help to target the midsection. The other is we can add extra load to the motions. And, we may reach the full range of motion with the help of them.
Frankly, you may be able to do the same with floor moves, but you need to be more creative. For instance, instead of doing regular crunches, you switch to bicycle crunches, which is a more intense and compound move.
But there is an essential factor! No matter if you use devices or not, you have to perform the moves correctly.
I use exercise equipment for abs because it helps to add more resistance to the movements. Hence, the muscles do not get used to the training, and they keep developing.
Last update on 2021-04-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API