Last Updated on the July 7, 2020
Even if you do not have time going to the gym, you can build a V-cut upper body at home with the help of the best back exercise machines I will show you here. This equipment gives you everything you need to have a total back workout.
And since they are versatile, you can perform many other types of home back exercises. Hence, they are a valuable part of a home gym.
List of Back Exercise Equipment for Home Training
1. Pull up bars or power tower for bodyweight training
The pull up is said to be the king of the upper body training, and for a good reason. This compound bodyweight exercise works your lats very effectively, making your back broad and developed. But, it also gains your arms, shoulders, and core.
For performing pull-ups at home, you can choose from many options. Obviously, with the help of the mentioned items, you can do many other exercises as well, for example, the chin up, which is also a perfect movement for the back.
What to check out before getting any of the following?
The maximum weight capacity – to know if it is safe to use for you.
- The size to know if you have enough space to use it comfortably.
- Read the reviews if the product is stable and robust. Wobbling equipment is very annoying and might be dangerous to train on.
A. Free standing pull-up bar
In my opinion, this equipment provides excellent training experience since you have a lot of space to exercise. The workout area is wide and tall, and it does not come with other workout stations which might be disturbing. Hence, this pull-up machine is perfect for even taller guys. However, because of that size, they require space.
If you are a techie guy, you can construct your DIY pull up bar in the garden as well.
B. Wall mounted pull up bar
This is more compact equipment that you need to fix on the wall. Hence, it is an excellent choice for those who have a lack of space at home. It is still an excellent tool to have the best upper back exercises at home.
C. Power Tower
This pull-up machine comes with more functions for bodyweight training. Besides the pull-up, it comes with a dip and vertical knee raise station. Hence, it lets you perform the most beneficial bodyweight exercises for the entire upper body.
Since they are packed many functions, they are not small, so you need space at home. But, I think it is the best option on this list.
D. Doorway bar
If you live in an apartment where you have no space at all, then a doorway pull up bar is the best buy. Of course, it does not provide such a good user experience as the previous ones, but still better than nothing. Just be very careful when you fix it to the frame. I’m sure you have already seen funny videos about people falling off with the bar in their hands.
2. Lat pulldown machine (or a home gym)
It is the most well known among the back workout machines at the gym. The lat pulldown exercise and its variations are excellent practices to build strength and size for lats.
Plus, thanks to the upper pulley system, you can perform many activities for other muscles—for example, triceps extensions to gain your arms or cable crunches for your abs. And, if it comes with a lower pulley system as well, you perform even more cable exercises for back such as rowing (substitute to seated row machine), or cable pulls for your legs.
Moreover, compared to pull up bars, they are maybe a better option for beginners since they can choose a lighter resistance to start with.
Shopping tips: Review of home lat pulldown machines
On the other hand, you may think about purchasing a home gym machine instead that comes with far more functions; among them, there is the lat pull down. But, those machines cost much more.
What to check out when buying?
- The first is the maximum load you can use the equipment with. In most of the cases, the max capacity is between 300-400 lb, which is enough for most of the trainees. But, if you are a pro, get a more robust machine.
- The other thing you have to consider if you want a stack or a weight plate loaded machine. If you have no weights at home yet, it is maybe a better option to get a stack one since there is no extra cost. Plus, weight stack equipment is more comfortable to use since you do not have to mount and unmount the plates.
3. Back extension machine (Roman chair)
Without a doubt, the hyperextension machine or Roman chair is the best lower back exercise machine.
Many people do not spend time training the lower back and posterior chain (spine). But it is vital since it is an essential part of the core is engaged in almost every move you make and while you exercise. Also, the weak lower back is one of the reasons for back pain.
This machine helps to strengthen those areas exceptionally well plus your glutes, hips and hamstrings. And, you may do a few other abdominal exercises with it such as side bends and dips since they come with handles.
Related: Best back extension benches
4. Adjustable dumbbells
I list dumbbells among the best exercise equipment for back strength training because there are a lot of practices you can do with them. I believe it is the most versatile piece of home workout equipment at all.
From the following video, you can learn many back exercises with dumbbells.
5. Barbell Set
This list would not be complete without mentioning the barbell with weights. Weight exercises for back like the deadlift and bent-over row are great to boost the size and strength of your back muscles.
On top of that, with a bar set, you can have a total body resistance training at home (bench press for chest, squat for the lower body, etc.)
Buying guide: Top Olympic weight sets for home.
What are the best back exercises you can do at home?
Now you know the back machine names, now let’s talk a little bit about what are the most beneficial moves to target the various muscle groups.
- Pull up is usually called the king of the upper body exercises. And, for a good reason. It makes your lats broad but also improves your forearms, core, and biceps. It is my favorite bodyweight exercise.
- Barbell deadlift. It is a must-to-do compound exercise that strengthens almost every part of your body. It requires practice to learn the proper form, but it is worth it.
- Single-arm dumbbell row. It is a unilateral exercise so you can enjoy a more extended range of motion, which leads to better muscle gain.
- T-bar row because the fixing of the end is not so challenging to perform so that you can use heavier weights. If you use a close grip, you can focus on your middle back and with wider grip your lats.
- The bent-over barbell row is an excellent practice to work the big back muscles. However, the correct form is essential for targeting and avoiding back injuries.
- Close grip lat pull downs compared to wide grip lat pulldown exercise gives an extended motion, which is useful for building your back muscle, particularly the latissimus dorsi.
What is the best exercise equipment for a bad back?
Well, that depends on how serious the problem you have, so before starting strength training, it is crucial to consult with a doctor.
I used to suffer from lower back pain. Now I know the pain came from the weak lower back and core muscles. I trained on the low back extension machine, and I also stretched a lot. Now, I have no problems.
No matter which back exercise machine you choose above, you will have training equipment that lets you have full training. Plus, since they are versatile, you can strengthen other parts of your body as well.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask below.