Are you searching for fitness equipment that lets you strengthen each muscle group, burn fat, improve your stamina and cardiovascular system, and even joy to use? Then, start working out with kettlebells.
It seems to be unbelievable that this simple equipment has so many advantages, but you will see that there are tons of benefits of kettlebell training. It is truly an all in one solution for people who want to get fit and healthy.
This type of strength training is perfect for both men and women, any fitness level, and it is even recommended for rehabilitation.
What is a kettlebell?
Before talking more about the kettlebell benefits, let’s see its history. Did you know that this equipment is from Russia and it is one of the earliest workout equipment?
The kettlebell was first used in Russia and developed in the 17 century. It was used in the army, particularly during the cold war in the Soviets army, to improve the strength and endurance of the soldiers. During the 1940s, the kettlebell spreads in Europe and then in the 1960s in the USA. The pioneers in America were Pavel Tsasouline and the Dragon Door Publications, who developed the first kettlebell instructor certification program in 2001.
A typical kettlebell has two parts: the bell and the handle. The size of the handle and the bell differ depending on the brand and the purpose of the item. For example, kettlebells with a large handle are chosen for two-handed exercises. Typically, they are m
Anyway, they look like a ball with a handle, and they come in various sizes. Adjustable kettlebells are also available these days that allow you to change the amount of weight with a pin. Hence, you do not need to buy ones in various sizes. This way you can save money and space.
List of Kettlebell Benefits
I found an excellent video in which a professional kettlebell trainer talks all the advantages. But before I would like to share with you why I like.
- The main reason I use it is that it combines strength and cardio training. That leads to better endurance, and in less amount of time, I can get better results. That is why athletes use in various sports for conditioning. It’s a full body workout.
- It is more enjoyable than running or even pumping iron. I was fed up with the same old types of workouts. When I tried kettlebell workouts, I was so surprised how fun it was. The 30 minutes flew away quickly.
- I’m not the biggest fan of cardio workouts, but I can substitute it with this gym equipment. It is a killer aerobic workout but not as dull. Furthermore, this type of training does not hurt my joints, which I experienced with running. It’s perfect for fat loss as well.
- It supports weight loss efficiently. Since most of the kettlebell movements are dynamic compound ones, several muscles work together at the same time. This way, I can lose more calories in less time. It is my favorite fat burning method.
- One of the reasons I started using it was that I used to have problems with my posture and lower back. That was because my core stability was weak. Almost all the usual kettlebell exercises strengthen the abs, obliques, back, hip flexors, and spine muscles (posterior chain). After one month, nearly all of these problems disappeared. Besides, kettlebell core strength exercises have helped me a lot to flatten my stomach and to improve the balance of my body.
- It is very versatile. I use them to strengthen and tone all my muscle groups, plus as I said, I use them for cardio. That is why I say it is an all in one training tool for those who do not want to go to the gym. If you do not have much money to spend on exercise equipment, then get one. It does not cost an arm and leg.
- It improves grip strength, which leads to better performance in almost every sport.
- Finally, I love it because it develops functional strength that we need each day and even the flexibility of the body.
These are just a few advantages of kettlebells. Watch the video below for more details.
Best kettlebell exercises
Now you know the benefits, so it is time to learn which are the most important exercises. Most of the people think it is only good for kettlebell swing and that it only works shoulders. Far from it!
From the flowing video, you can learn the best basic kettlebell moves.
Now you know the basic movements, so the next step is to create a workout routine from them. Here is a great example from Kelly. It is about 30 minutes so get prepared that you are going to sweat like a pig. You can find a lot of other programs online. Check out some beginner kettlebell workouts here.
What size kettlebell for beginners?
Kettlebell weight selection is critical if you want to have a safe and powerful workout. So, pay attention to the tips within the following video.
How often should I do kettlebell training?
That depends on several factors, such as the intensity of the workout, your body weight, fitness level, etc. A well-planned plan with the most effective exercises and with the right intensity will bring results fast if you do it 3-5 times a week. Keep in mind the muscles need time to recover.
Can kettlebells replace cardio?
Sure! Since it’s the combination of strength and cardio training. Also, most of the exercises are compound ones that increase the heart rate quickly. Hence, kettlebell training can substitute running or other cardio. Therefore, it’s a perfect solution for home workouts since we don’t need to invest in expensive cardio machines.
Do kettlebells build leg muscles?
Sure, there are many kettlebell leg exercises such as goblet squats to target the lower body. We can use kettlebells the same way as dumbbells. This way, they are suitable for lunges and various squats to build strength for hamstrings, glutes, and quads.
How many calories does 15-minutes of kettlebells burn?
According to the American Council on Exercise (ACE), we can burn over 1200 calories per hour with kettlebell training. And that means about 20 calories per minute. That means we can burn about 300 calories. However, this statement isn’t true for everyone since the number of calories burned depends on a lot of factors from intensity to age. But, without a doubt, the kettlebell workout is among the most effective ways to burn calories. You can find cardio workouts with kettlebells here.
Can kettlebell swings give you abs?
The kettlebell swing is a compound exercise that engages almost all the muscles of the body, burns fat, and improves endurance. Because of these benefits, it can help you a lot to build abs, better to say core strength. However, to have visible abdominal muscles, the body fat level should be decreased, which is possible with a balanced diet.
As you see, there are tons of benefits of kettlebell training for weight loss and strength development. If you want to try something different or you are fed with your cardio, barbell, or dumbbell workouts, then it is time to catch kettlebells. Snatch the secret training weapon of the Russians to get in shape faster than you think.