Best dumbbells for home gym
Why should you buy a pair of adjustable dumbbells? If you would like to build muscles at home, you may have already made several researches on what type of equipment out there and which are the most beneficial ones.
It is undeniable that the two most important pieces of equipment are dumbbells and a barbell. With these equipment’s help, we can perform huge number of exercises to train all the muscles groups at home.
- 1 Best Adjustable Dumbbells Comparison Chart
- 2 Adjustable Dumbbell Sets Reviews
- 3 Buying Guide for Adjustable Weight Dumbbells
Best Adjustable Dumbbells Comparison Chart
Below you will find the best rated adjustable dumbbell reviews and comparison. We picked these items based on our experiences, customer reviews, price, and the features they provide. No matter which you choose, you are going to be happy with your purchase since they are made by trusted manufacturers.
1. BOWFLEX SELECTTECH 552
2. POWERBLOCK ELITE
6. POWERBLOCK SPORT
Adjustable Dumbbell Sets Reviews
1. Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbell Sets – Best Overall
There is no question that Bowflex dumbbells are among the most successful manufacturer recommended and used by well-known fitness experts. There are two models available now: Bowflex SelecTech 552 and 1090.
The system is the same just the 1090 version allows up to 90 lbs. by using 5-pound increment while 552 just 52.5 lbs. by using 2.5 increase.
One of the main reasons why users like this model is that it is easy to adjust. If you work out with dumbbells, you know the most annoying is that it takes time to change the plates making your training not continuous.
With SelectTech dumbbells, you just turn the dial to the resistance you want to use, and you can start lifting it. It is especially beneficial if you do multiple exercises one after another, and you need various resistance for each.
Since this equipment is on the market for about 7 years, we can talk about its durability. Customers who have been using it for years say the dumbbells look as if they are new and the dialing feature still functions properly.
On the other hand, some users say you should not drop it like typical dumbbells. But, I think it is just a minor problem. Dropping weights looks cool, but it is just a bad habit we can quickly get rid of.
- It has the famous dial system allowing to adjust the weight on the fly
- Space saving design and tray to keep the unnecessary plates at one place
- Perfect both for beginners and intermediate users
- It comes with a lot of instructional materials to learn the different exercises and to maximize the outcome of your workouts
- A few users complained about the broken plastic parts
- A few people think the locking system can be better
2. PowerBlock Elite Dumbbells
There is no question that PowerBlock adjustable dumbbells are among the most serious competitors of Bowflex.
There are several versions made for beginners and power users and both for home and commercial use.
There are Classic, Urethane and Sports series. Since there are so many versions available, I’m going to talk about them generally.
The design of PowerBlock is not traditional since they are rectangle shaped, but users say that does not affect their workouts. The dumbbells are well-balanced, so you can use them as if they were common ones. Someone even likes this shape as they can pick it up easier.
Adjusting the weight with the pins just takes about 5-10 seconds. I think it is pretty quick. Maybe it is not as convinient as the dialing system, though.
Another reason why people like working out with Powerblock is its compact design. Compared to hex dumbbells on the market, they are shorter. This is beneficial for many exercises. For example, if you do dumbbell chest press, they allow to use the interchangeable dumbbells closer at the top of the contraction.
- They come with an easy to use selector pin that lets to change the weight easily. Just slide the pin out and put it where you want. It takes only 5 sec
- Compact, space safer design
- Users like since they have an excellent balance that helps to perform the workout more accurately and securely
- Made from long-lasting, high-quality materials
- Ergonomic hand grips that allow to focus on lifting instead of squeezing the bar
- 10 years warranty
- You need to get used to the unique handle bar
- You must be careful when you use the pins. Fix them correctly
3. Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbels
Yes4All adjustable dumbbells comes with two sets, summing up to 200 pounds of weight. Specifically, it includes two 16″ x 1.15″ handles, sixteen 10-pound plates, four 5-pound plates, four 2.5-pound plates, and four collars.
These dumbbells are made with cast-iron, covered with black paint finish that prevents your dumbbells from rust and corrosion.
What’s more, these adjustable dumbbells are versatile and practical. You can easily alternate between dumbbell or barbell exercises anytime you want.
Besides, you’ll get diamond-knurled chrome handle, perfect for maximizing your grip when exercising. Plus, the threaded ends and star-lock collars are customized for easy changing of weight.
Its ergonomic handle provides safe and convenient usage so it is easy to grip.
- These dumbbells are space efficient and easy to use
- Comes with additional dumbbell connectors for selected weights
- Practical and versatile
- Your body sees significant improvements
- Comes with a highly practical connector, diamond-knurled chrome handle, and cast-iron weight plates
- Weight plates seem short and thick
- A few users think the storage rack is too tight
- Time-consuming to change plates
4. ATIVAFIT Adjustable Dumbbels
Among all the mentioned equipment, this product comes with the best stand that is ergonomically designed, allowing a comfortable way to store weights.
If you get other products, you need to invest in a stand that usually costs about $200.
It also comes with a high-strength plastic pedestal, and some say it is even better than the FLYBIRD has. Picking the resistance level is easy and smooth. After the adjustment, the plates stay at their place, but a few users believe they should be stickier.
Its modern design makes it an outstanding part of your home gym.
- Has adjustable weight adjustments, thanks to its push-pull design
- One dumbbell is equal to 4 different weights
- Has a compact design and feature
- Made with high-quality, contoured material
- Includes a textured and soft grip handle for a securer control
- Plates seem a little loose if not secured properly
- Has a plastic exterior
- Don’t work smoothly as the Bowflex brand
5. FLYBIRD Adjustable Dumbbels
FLYBIRD is a consistent fitness equipment manufacturer for 20 years, known for its sturdy and durable machines in the market. Nonetheless, coaches and trainers practically see FLYBIRD one of the best manufacturer when it comes to adjustable dumbbells currently.
The user experience is great. With FLYBIRD adjustable dumbbells, you get a set of dumbbell space but with 5 sets of training experience.
You’ll get a weight from 5 to 25 lbs. These dumbbells support diverse strength training, no sweat at all.
You’ll love FLYBIRD’s weight plate covered with frosted powder coating. It considers the trainer’s safety with its aluminum-alloy material that doesn’t slip easily from your hands.
- Durable handle and grip composition
- Features visual weight dial, shortening the time for changing weight
- Provides a comfortable experience for trainers
- Compact design and space
- Composed of high-strength material tray
- Achieves security storage of your equipment
- Doesn’t work well when used on carpets
6. PowerBlock Sport Adjustable Dumbbels
PowerBlock is a well-known manufacturer for their high-quality home fitness equipment. Their dumbbell is not bad, but there are a few problems with them.
Overall dimensions of these dumbbells are 10.5″ L x 5.25″ W x 5″ H.
This system is maybe the best to buy since it can be used up to 24 lbs., comes with a stand, very robust and has a 10-year warranty. Suitable for from beginners to advanced users, and even for even commercial usage.
- Extra robust construction for home and commercial usage.
- Pair of adjustable dumbbells for efficient strength training at home
- Eight weights choice available, which has a 3-pound increment
- Considers a selector pin that helps you change weights easily
- More compact design than traditional dumbbells known in the market
- Doesn’t work well when used on carpets
7. RUNWE Adjustable Dumbbels
The heavy duty chrome construction makes these multi weight dumbbells long lasting and easy to use. You’ll get a comprehensive all-in-one dumbbell-barbell set with RUNWE set. Along with these components, you’ll have a versatile workout experience, such as dead-lifts and squats.
Specifically, it includes four 4.4 lbs. plates and twelve 5.5 lbs. plates.
You can easily take on and off these dumbbells according to your body needs.
What’s more, it encompasses a wing-bolt enhanced spinlock that securely tightens your dumbbells in place.
Additionally, the handles are carefully made with solid-steel coarsened rubber coating, so you’ll get more control of the equipment. Unlike other manufacturers that give year-long warranty, RUNWE only provides thirty days, covering only manufacturing defects.
- Features a dual-purpose and wing-bolt enhanced spinlock technique
- Made with anti-rolling and polyethylene coating materials
- Includes high-density mixture of cement and iron sand
- Storage tray for faster and comfier usage.
- Ergonomic grip handles.
- Only one month warranty
- Barbell configuration might feel flimsy
Buying Guide for Adjustable Weight Dumbbells
Adjustable vs. Traditional Hand Weights
There are hundreds of standard dumbbells out there from single ones that cannot be set and ones that enable you to alter the weight by removing or adding plates.
The problem with the non-adjustable ones is that you need to buy and use several pieces to have different resistance when you workout. Hence, you will need a lot of space to store the free weights, although you can buy a dumbbell stand to save space.
Other traditional models come with various amount of weight plates you can change to fit your needs. You need only one bar, and the plates are fixed with a collar. These products need less space, they can be adjusted, and they are safe to use.
However, changing the plates need time and in the end there will be plates everywhere around you. This process can be pretty annoying if you want have an intensive workout or when you have to change the weight.
Considering the mentioned problems the best adjustable weights are the ones that come with a unique technology to switch the plates fast. With the help of them you can easily pick the amount of weight you want for lifting.
There is no need to remove and add plates manually and fix them with a collar. You just need to use the dial or the pin of the dumbbell set and the unnecessary plates will stay in the tray. This way you will be able to save space and time making your workouts more efficient and continuous
Not to mention that you save money as well since if you buy several pieces of equipment separately in the end they will cost far more.
Personally I prefer dumbbells since they provide better workouts. Why? Because the moves are more natural, and we can focus on one particular muscle group more efficiency.
In addition, most of the dumbbell exercises strengthen secondary muscles as well since you have to keep the balance of your body. Just think about standing dumbbell shoulder presses.
With dumbbells, you can do training for your chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, back and legs. That is why I suggest buying dumbbells for those who want to build their home gym.
What type of systems are there?
There are two types of locking mechanism to change the weight by using selector pins or dials.
Selector pin dumbbells allow you to change the amount of weight by placing a pin in the proper position.
When you lift the dumbbell, the unwanted plates will be left in the holder. I think selectorized dumbbells are the most comfortable to use. Powerblock elite adjustable dumbbells uses this system.
The dialing version is maybe a bit more user-friendly. You just need to turn the dials to the proper position to add the weights to the bar, and when you lift it the unnecessary plates will be let in the try. Bowflex is a popular brand using this system.
No matter which system buy both provide smooth weight changing and safe usage.
Various adjustable dumbbell sets
What You Should Pay Attention to While Shopping
Since of these items are not the cheapest ones you should pay attention to some features before picking a product.
- Maximum Weight: Depending on your needs, you should check how much is the total weight the set provides. Typically, selectable dumbbells weight sets provide 50 lbs, but there are items that support up to 100 for pro users. I think, the best is if you pick a heavier one considering that as you develop you will need heavier weights. Although, these items may cost a little bit more.
- Weight Increment: It is another important feature you should focus on. Most of the home fitness adjustable dumbbells come with 1.5, 2.5 or 5 pounds increments. If you are a beginner, you should pick one that comes less increment to increase the resistance gradually.
- Price: The most trustworthy products come at almost the same price but do not forget there are always good deals, especially on Amazon when you could save 25-50%. Of course, there are cheaper, not so well-known equipment, but be careful there are many low-quality products that can be even dangerous to use. If you find these products too expensive, you can discover the best dumbbell sets under $100 here.
- Best dumbbells brands: Bowflex, Bayou Fitness, Power Block, Ironmaster are the most popular brands for home gym these days. Their products come with a lot of positive customer reviews.
Who is it for?
Both men and women who want to have conditioning workouts at home and need various amount of weights. Dumbbells are proven to be the most efficient strength training equipment recommended by fitness experts and bodybuilders. They can be used for bodybuilding, cardio workouts, p90x, etc.
What is the best buy?
What is the best adjustable dumbbell set for the money? Considering the price, sold as a pair, and the features the Bowflex models are the winner, at least for me. The second winner is PowerBlock Elitebecause of its robustness and the stand, and the third is Yes4All.
Anyway, no matter which you are going to purchase you will see that having an adjustable dumbbell set will make your workouts more efficient without needing a lot of space. Hence, they are great for small flats as well.
Did you find the best adjustable dumbbells for you? Share with your friends.