Power Rack, also commonly known as a power cage, is workout equipment designed for performing weight training safely. They allow free weight workout sessions that include barbell but avoids the restrictions that otherwise are seen while using the Smith Machine.
What is a power rack?
A power cage has four vertical poles or posts and contains two adjustable horizontal safety bars on every side. The frame takes the shape of a cage, hence the name. It also has spotter bars on the exterior that allow exercises like chin-ups and pull-ups. These are immensely beneficial for bodybuilding and muscle training. It’s the best equipment for a home gym.
It is large, spacious, rectangular-cubical shaped strength training equipment. It is usually made from steel and is finished using proper coatings that make it much more durable and sturdy for continuous usage.
Do you search for the best power rack for home gym? Here are some models that are for sale at Amazon and are excellent for use.
Best Power Rack Reviews Under $500
It may seem a low price for such an essential piece of equipment, but you can buy a quality rack under $500. A few models cost only around $300. If you are building a home gym on a budget and you don’t want to lift weighty weights, one of the products below will do for you. For weight lifting, 300-400 lbs here are the best budget power rack options.
What is the best choice at this price range?
Well, considering the price, the features, and the customer reviews, Valor is the winner for me. Besides using it for barbell exercises, you can make bodyweight moves such as dips, pull-ups, and chin-ups. Also, you can store your plates on it.
1. Valor Fitness BD-7 Squat Rack with Lat Pull
Are you looking for the ultimate home gym power rack with lat pulldown to add to your garage gym? Amazon has the best deal for you by Valor Fitness. It is an excellent product for intense training to build up your muscular body and strength. It is designed specifically to help you bulk up more in a sophisticated fashion.
The heavy-gauge steel construction makes your exercise experience more fun, comfortable, and very sturdy. You can rely on this machine to help maximize productivity and achieve your bodybuilding goal efficiently.
Many people have claimed that this squat stand intensified their athletic side. It made their goals easier to reach and assist them in getting a ripped physique in no time.
- It’s a 2″ x 2″ mainframe model that comes with a lat pull attachment.
- It consists of four strong 8″ plate storage pegs, two steel made safety bars, and four steel weight bar supports that can be adjusted as you like.
- It comes with a Valor Fitness MB-A BD-7 handle accessory set & Champion Cable Attachments Pack.
- Pull up bar for bodyweight training.
- Four weight storage options.
- This machine weighs up to 89 pounds.
- 27 adjustment holes.
- Pulley system with row attachment and lat pulldown station.
- The measurement is as follows: 82” (h) x 63.5” (w) x 47”(d).
- You can take up to 200 pounds of weight on Lat Pull.
2. Body-Solid Powerline (PPR200X)
Powerline is a renowned name when it comes to athletic gear and gym equipment because of its unique quality and excellent performance. The Powerline PPR200X power rack is the epitome of class that will make your entire fitness regime much more exciting and fruitful.
- Weightlifters find it highly efficient and convenient. They can perform intense conditioning with it much more enthusiastically.
- It has a wide walk-in area that makes movement more comfortable, and you can do plenty of practice.
- It measures 44W x 82H x 46D and weighs up to 40 lbs when it is delivered to your doorstep via shipping.
- The squat stand allows you to get in charge of your fitness with more confidence. It lets you do military presses, squats, flat and incline/decline along with shrugs and calf-raise.
- It comes with secure and safe saber style safety rods as well as two heat-tempered j-hooks. They keep your workout routine, efficient yet straightforward letting you perform 18 different positions.
- A good option if you need a freestanding pull-up bar.
- You can purchase the CAP barbell and Prosource puzzle exercise mats along with it for a unique training experience.
- The frame construction comes with a 10-year warranty.
3. TITAN FITNESS Short Power Rack T-2 Series
- The Titan power rack comes with 2″ x 2″ high gauge steel tubes. The weight capacity is 700 pounds and allow you to perform various exercises during your workout routine.
- Titan squat rack has solid steel J Hooks that are 1″ round.
- Titan Fitness prioritizes your comfort and safety while designing the gym equipment. Therefore, this cage is built to help you achieve maximum benefits within an affordable range.
- This power cage has a chin-up bar as well that is 1.25″ in diameter and weighs 107 pounds. The pull-up bar is 80″ x 83″ and the depth is 48″.
- The monkey pull-up bar is fantastic to enhance your regime with bodyweight exercises.
- It’s spacious and allows multiple activities, including side to side moves, freely and easily.
- Multiple weight storage options.
- It’s a new and enhanced design that has been elegantly modified to make your workout routine more enjoyable and comfortable. You can now perform squats, military press, shrugs, calf exercises, curls, bench pressing, and other moves more efficiently. It helps you boost your confidence and make the bodybuilding regime more powerful.
- With a total of 28 different height levels to try, Titan squat cage not only creates a more stable and durable environment for your workout session but makes it possible to achieve your targets more quickly.
- The steel body makes it a lot more durable, and there is no danger of accidents or breakage.
4. CAP Barbell Exercise Stand
Are you looking for a new rack to add to your home fitness area or your public gym? Amazon has the perfect deals, and excellent discount offers on many gym exercise machines for you. The Cap Barbell squat rack is one of its kind, elegantly designed while keeping your needs and requirements in mind. It helps in achieving your bodybuilding targets more efficiently with increased benefits and features.
- It’s made up of durable steel that allows more stability and increased safety to its user.
- The specifications are 46″ D x 50″ W x 85″ H and have up to 14 steel gauge thicknesses. The upright structure is double-gusseted, which makes it stronger and reliable to use for longer periods. Your comfort and security while performing movements is their priority. So, Cap Barbell ensures that your workout experience stays enjoyable and memorable.
- You can also purchase the required plates, bars, and bands along with it and ensure that your exercise yields the desired results.
- It has an extra three steps powder coating as a finishing that makes it even more durable. Color options are available.
- It is available at a mega discount offer on Amazon and includes free shipping to your house. The entire squat stand and its parts to be assembled are shipped carefully with proper coating and seal.
- The bar holder consists of an ABS sleeve that makes the storing and removal of the bar very comfortable.
- You can now do immense weight lifting exercises as well as curls, squats, and deadlifts with this excellent Cap Barbell rack.
5. Deltech Fitness Squat Rack
The Deltech Fitness power rack gives you everything that you need for all-around conditioning. It enables you to perform different kinds of activities much safer. It is constructed by the use of a heavy gauge material that is designed to last a lifetime.
It is versatile as it can be used to work your shoulders, arms, legs, back by doing several drills such as squats, bench pressing, deadlifts pull-ups, and other large muscle group exercises. It gives you the option of doing various weight workouts that you want so to be able to diversify your workouts without worrying about the rack.
When you are working out, and the muscles get exhausted, there is a possibility of having muscle failure, which could lead to you being trapped under the bar, or you will have to dump them behind you. At times this causes stress and strain on the body, which leads to injury.
With this home gym equipment, this is sorted because it has a spotter that allows one to work out safely by setting the safety bars to the appropriate height, and this means that you can use heavier weight much safely and for better results.
- It weighs 190 lbs. and has a weight capacity of 750 lbs.
- Its dimensions are 81″ H x 48″ W x 54″ D on the outside and 77″ H x 44″ W x 26″ D inside.
- It is zinc plated with durable black and white powder coat paint.
- It is welded to American Welding Society (AWS) specifications.
- The safety catches have ½” pull pins where the front catches are designed with hooks on the inside and outside of the rack.
- Heavy-duty spotters and j-hooks.
- Heavy-duty Side Gussets for Added Stability
One con is that you will need to buy the extra things such as rods, adjustable bench, and weights separately. But this should not stop you from getting the home gym power rack because you can use them independently for other different weight workouts when you don’t want to use the rack.
Best Squat Rack Reviews Under $1000
6. Body-Solid GPR378
More space makes it easier to perform multiple routines more efficiently. The exercise routines are made efficient and beneficial with this simple and safe design.
- It has 20 adjustment levels that are situated at a 3″ space from each other along with a 41″ wide multi-grip pull up bar.
- The j-hooks are heat tempered, and saber styled. That helps to keep your routine safe and secure yet highly effective for bodybuilding regime.
- The dimensions of the rack are 82″ H x 49″ L x 46″ W, and it can bear the maximum weight of 800 pounds.
- The heavy-duty structure has 11 gauges that have superb high tensile strength frames that are welded on all four sides.
- The powder coat has been electrostatically applied to ensure that it doesn’t get chipped off from constant use. The steel frame is also scratch-resistant.
- Pull-up bar and optional dip bars.
- It is stronger and more prominent and worth the money you spend.
- It is user-friendly, and customers immensely enjoy their strength training with Body-Solid Pro in their gyms.
Tip: If you look for a complete set with weight plates, Olympic bar, weight bench, and rack, you can get Body-Solid GPR378 much cheaper.
7. Bodycraft F430 Power Rack
To get fit and build strength requires you to have the right rack that will enable you to work every part of your body to the maximum. This involves lifting weights mostly, and at times it becomes a bit dangerous because it can cause stress and strain to the arm muscles, shoulders, and back. It is hard to get a platform that will allow you to perform some exercises at once, with or without other equipment.
It has adjustable spotter arms and bar catches, which makes it safe to do solo workouts and lifting weights, and the rugged construction makes workouts enjoyable and quick. You can use it together with other equipment for strength training such as a cable crossover attachment, dip handles, low row station, and incline/flat/decline bench.
It has a robust design- it is heavily built with a stable shape that gives stability when one is lifting weights. With this design and durability, the cage allows you to reach maximum performance. You are also able to lift more weight to 1200 lbs. in a sufficient space and safely too.
It is safe to use while doing any workout. It has adjustable safety spotters which will help you avoid injury when doing exercises, and you can easily adjust them to accommodate a wide variety of weight lifters preferences and sizes.
- Has a weight limit of 800 pounds (bar catchers)
- 12 gauge, 2×3 steel tubing designed or heavy lifting
- 2-inch hole spacing between each adjustment point to promote efficient, safe, and customizable workouts.
- Pull-up bar to be used with bands and other accessories.
- Durable rubber on the bar hooks and safety bars to prevent scratching.
- Triangular Gussets in corners
- At all joints, there are 0.75 inch hardened steel bolts and has an extra-wide platform.
- It is constructed and engineered for extreme rigidity.
- Its dimensions are 48.9″ W x 51.4″ D x82.5”H
- It comes with a lifetime warranty which applies not to the normal wear and tear, but any defects in materials and workmanship.
Customer reviews and conclusion
There have been positive reviews from people who have used this rack. It is well built, and the superior parts are heavy-duty, which means that it was created to last for an extended period. The rack is highly customized to fit into your home as the height fits in most homes, and the size is ideal for squatting with deeper front to back and narrow side to side dimension.
The disadvantage is although there is a manual on how to assemble the rack, assembling is a bit complicated. However, you can always ask for assistance from a friend who has this type of rack or ask for professionals to assemble it for you.
8. Rogue Power Rack Models
Rogue Fitness has an excellent reputation for its professional pieces of workout equipment. And, the same is true for the Rogue power cages that are favorable in commercials gyms as well. Thair racks are extraordinarily durable and precisely manufactured by the highest quality standards. But because of those enhanced features, they are more expensive than traditional rigs.
Rogue has over 20 types of racks in different sizes, attachments, load capacity, price, etc. it would be hard to list here all. But, the Rogue R-3 power rack is an excellent choice for most of the people and costs less than 1000 dollars. Their other items are much more expensive but they are among the best commercial power racks that are used at professional competitions as well for powerlifting.
Is a power rack worth it?
It has many advantages when it comes to strength training, and it is basic home gym equipment. It allows a safe and secure place to perform free weight exercises. You can do power rack bench press exercises allowing placement of maximum weights on the barbell and removing the possibility of crushing the chest in case of an accident. It is also used for limited range workouts.
It has innumerable benefits when it comes to a proper fitness regime, and some of them are as follows:
Peace of mind
The better your exercise equipment, the more you will feel more confident about your fitness session. Thus, you will be sure that you are doing your best. The choice of a home power cage should be made while keeping in mind your safety, comfort, and your ultimate goal to be achieved. The best power cage will help you get nearer to your target with each passing day. The safety arms will help you out whenever you are in trouble.
It is necessary for training because it improves your ability to perform within a particular range of motion. It is adjustable according to your safety, and it can be changed to any height that you like. They allow for precise training of particular body parts that you intend to work out on.
Variety of exercise
The best benefit of a power rack is its versatile use for fitness enthusiasts. There isn’t an exercise known to us that you cannot do using this equipment. You can lift heavy barbells, perform dips, chin-ups, curls, squats, military press, chest press, and a lot more using this one strengthening exercise equipment. It allows you to do upright rows, rack pull, barbell bent-over rows, rack lockout, overhead press, close grip bench presses, inverted row, and barbell curls as well.
If you have extra cash, you can purchase other equipment that will help you with other major additional movements for specific routines such as cable row, triceps pushdowns, cable crunches, straight arm pull down, cable face pull, cable pulls through, lat pulls down, biceps cable curl, etc.
Watch the video below to see why it is essential equipment for a home gym.
What should I look for in a power rack for home gym?
What’s the difference between a squat rack and a power rack?
First, you build your own home gym you have to decide which type of rack suits you the best.
Full racks provide a safer workout environment because they are more stable and if you are in trouble you can drop the bar on longer bar catches inside. But, they need more area (but they come with weight storage). Maybe, a power cage is a better option for beginners thanks to safety features. They may get into trouble easier because of the incorrect form of squat or chest press or using weights that they cannot handle safely.
The squat stand because of having a base with two upright bars are less stable. A badly-designed half-rack tilts and may fall over if a heavy barbell is dropped on it. The best half rack models are safe to use, but they still have shorter safety spotter arms. So, it’s maybe more suitable for advanced athletes who know how to use such stands safely.
How much space do you need for squat stands?
Since a rack is not a small piece of home gym equipment, you should check out if you have enough room to use it comfortably and safely. Keep in mind while workout you will move around, so not just the footprint (floor space) is essential to be checked out.
Also, when you do lifting exercises such as military press or pull-ups, having enough height for the move is vital. So check the power rack height and compare it to space you would like to use. The more area you will have, the better.
Also, do not forget that you have other equipment in the home gym such as dumbbells, benches, etc. that also need space. If space is essential, you may consider checking out half racks instead.
The dimensions of the product
Most of the models are made for average users. So, if you are taller or shorter than usual, you should focus on the depth, the height, and the width of the model. If a squat rack is too short or tall, or to narrow or wide for you, it will be not only uncomfortable to perform the moves correctly, but also dangerous. Always, check the home power rack dimensions carefully before shopping and the best is of your give it a try.
Is it easy to adjust? Hole spacing?
Most of the cages come with safety pins and pipe safety system, which is not the easiest to use in most of the cases. It needs time to set the height making your workout not so continuous. So, always check out the reviews on how safety catches works for users.
The best fitness power racks come with straps beside the safety spotter arms that are more practical and safer. They cost a little bit more but worth the extra cost.
The hole spacing means the distance between the adjustments on the steel uprights. The denser the holes, the easier to find the optimal height options for your height.
What kind of stabilizer does it have?
In most of the cases, power cages are anchored to the floor. However, some models come with a stabilizer bar that can be found in the backside of the rack at the bottom. This bar is necessary to keep the frame stable, so it must be made from sturdy materials.
Some models come with a removable stabilizer, while others not. In most of the cases, you do not use that area when you work out, so it is not so annoying.
Power rack attachments
What kind of accessories does it come with?
Cheaper models only come with essential accessories. While the most expensive ones have almost everything, you need such as dip attachment. And usually, the difference between the prices isn’t huge. Sooner or later, you will have to buy the required accessories, so it is maybe better to get everything at once even if it costs a little bit more.
Other Equipment You Will Need
Keep in mind that squat racks do not come with a barbell and weight plates. Hence, if you do not have them yet, you will have to buy those things as well. Quality Olympic weight plates and a barbell is not cheap, but you will be able to use them for a lifetime. Also, if you want to use it do bench presses, you need a weight bench as well.
The good news is if you have those things and rack, you will have everything you need to have complete strength training workouts at home.
A squat rack is not a light and small equipment, so most of the cases, you have to pay for the shipping. However, on Amazon, they give you free shipping in most cases.
Tip: You can save money if you buy a power rack with weights and bench in a package.
Can you assemble it?
Well, I’m not a techie guy, but I could put my rack together with ease. All models come with instructions, but you will need tools for sure.
As you see, they are not so cheap, but there are squat stands for sale. Gym-quality models cost more, but for a home gym and an average user, a not so expensive model will do. Check out the best cheap power racks here.
If you are joining a gym and are planning to do intense training, then your commercial gym must have at least one. If it doesn’t, then I suggest you look somewhere else. Or you could get one for yourself at home. A home gym is the new cool and is an excellent way to make use of your basement, garage, or other spare rooms. It saves you a lot of time and energy and also precious money!
Did you find the best power rack for your home gym? Share this guide with your friends!