Last Updated on
A power rack with lat pulldown function is a valuable part of a home gym. The rack itself provides a lot of possibilities to perform exercises with a barbell, or even doing bodyweight exercises for strength training. And the lat pulldown section offers, even more, opportunities to do cable exercises for various muscle groups (almost the same as the ones with a cable crossover machine).
This way, you can have full body workouts in the comfort of your home. Plus, you can save space and cash since you do not have to purchase a lat pulldown machine and a power rack for home separately.
Here you can find the comparison and overview of 4 machines that I think are worth checking out.
How did I come to this list?
- Firstly, I checked out the weight capacity of the racks, which is crucial. Each of the heavy-duty power racks here allows lifting weights heavier than 800 lbs. Hence, even if you are a pro, you can work out safely without a spotter.
- Then, I checked out the functions they provide. I mean, what kind of extras does it come with besides the lat pulldown attachment. Each of the strength equipment here comes with a pull-up/chin-up bar so you can do bodyweight exercises as well. Also, they have a low pulley system so you can do cable rows and other exercises. (A possible alternative to the rowing machine).
- Another factor that I checked is the price. Because of the extra functions, of course, these home gym equipment cost a little bit more than a typical power rack for home gym. However, if we see the additional exercises we can do with them, they are worth that little extra cash.
- And finally, only positive customer reviews. All the fitness equipment here made by trusted manufacturers that are popular among users and provide a long warranty on their products. So, these power racks have at least a 4-star average rating on Amazon and other stores.
1. Fitness Reality X-Class Olympic Power Cage with Lat Pulldown – The Best Buy
I put this quality product on the top of this list for many reasons. In my opinion, it is the best power rack for the money.
Firstly, compared to other power racks here, Fitness Reality 810xlt provides more possibilities to work out. It comes with adjustable multi-grip pull up/chin-up section that can handle an incredible 600 lbs. This way, you can use hefty weights to add extra resistance to your pull up workouts. Also, it comes with an adjustable dip station handling up to 600 pounds as well, which provides an excellent opportunity to train your upper body and triceps.
Thanks to the 2″ x 3″ tubular steel frame, two 35.5″ dual mounted safety bars, extra J-hooks, and robust structure, the rack can handle up to 1500 lbs! That is enough for even a powerlifter to perform squats, deadlifts, and bench presses with giant weights. Of course, it is compatible with 7′ Olympic bars and bumper plates as well.
Since it is a commercially graded squat rack with lat pulldown (meaning it can be used in gyms), you must be sure that it will last for long. You will get a 10-year warranty on the frame, and 3-2 years on other parts.
The only thing I miss is the plate storage pegs, but I think it is not a big problem.
And the price? Well, other conventional power racks and squat stands (without the lat pull down section and with less capability) usually cost more!
If you are searching for the best power rack with lat attachment, Fitness Reality X-Class power rack is the best bang for your buck. And I’m not alone with my opinion, just check out the customer reviews.
- 86.5 L x 52 W x 86 H inches ; 301 pounds
- 360 lbs limit for the lat attachment
- 44 inch Lat Bar/ 20 inches low row bar
- Height positions: 24
2. Valor Fitness BD-7 Power Rack with Lat Pull Attachment
I put the BD-7 Valor power rack in second place on my list because of its affordable price. It is around $400, which is a pretty good price for a multifunctional home gym machine. Plus, this power rack has a space-saving size.
The low price does not mean that it is made from weak materials since the bar catcher outside can handle 500 lbs and inside 650 pounds. While the safety bars can stand up to 800 lbs. Such capacity is far enough for anyone for strength workouts.
Valor Fitness BD-7 comes with 17 variable positions for the barbell from 17.5″ to 68″, so the max high is OK for an average height person, but maybe short for tall people.
The cable system is plate loaded. Most of the users say it works smoothly, but a few who may want to use heavier weights say it does not function as it should. Some lubricants on the cables may help.
Considering the price and functions, this is an excellent quality power rack for the money that is perfect for someone who wants to lift at home. However, it is not for pros who want to lift heavy weights. A bit more expensive and enhanced version is the Valor Athletics.
- Dimensions: Outer 59″depth x 63″ width x 86″height • Inner 23.625″D x 43.25″W x 80″H
- Solid steel chrome lat pulldown bar.
- Weight storage pegs.
- Height positions: 14
3. XMark Fitness Heavy Duty Multi-Functional Power Rack
I put this power rack with pulley system before the last position because of its price, since it costs almost twice as the others. However, it is a professional power rack that provides excellent user experience and tons of functions to work out.
Firstly, it comes with a pull-up and dip bars so you can do bodyweight exercises. The handles are covered with non-slip materials for comfort and safety.
The lat pulldown and low pulley system work as it should. The cables run smoothly even if heavy weights are used. The lat and row bars are both made from solid steel for durability. The cable system supports all sorts of weight plates.
The bar catchers and the safety bars can be adjusted by 2 inches, which is useful to tweak them to your needs. It is compatible with any barbells types as well. Perfect for bench presses and squats.
The only negative thing about it is the price, but it is a robust and highly functional machine.
- Dimensions: 61.5 x 48.5 x 83.1 inches
- Adjustment holes are put 2-inches apart
- Lifetime warranty
- Height positions: 22
Recently it’s unavailable. A Rogue power rack is a good alternative.
4. Marcy Diamond Elite Smith System with Linear Bearings
This is a power rack with a cable crossover system and smith machine function. The pulley functions are independent. That way, it requires more control leading to better muscle engagement. The resistance is generated by weight plates, which are not included with the product.
It also comes with an upper and lower pulley system, preacher curl pad, footplate for seated rowing, adjustable weight bench with leg developer section. And with weight plate storage and all the attachments that are required. Hence, it is all-in-one equipment for strength training that supports over 100 activities.
The maximum limit is 600 lb, which is enough for even advanced level trainees. And thanks to the off the floor base, it is very stable.
If you prefer a smith machine and need cable crossover, get this. Read the full review on Marcy Diamond Elite Smith Cage.
Things to consider before shopping
- If you want to use the cage in a garage gym, check out the height of the ceiling to know if you have enough space. Check the other details carefully as well, for example, the width to see if it is compatible with your current barbell.
- Weight set and bench are not included, so you should buy them separately.
- It’s better to buy a rack with extended width and depth to have enough room inside.
- The floor should be horizontal and smooth. If not, the cage will wobble. It is recommended to put a rubber gym mat under it.
- You may need other accessories that are not included, for example, a triceps rope.
- Don’t overload the systems while doing lat pulldowns. It may lead to tearing of the cables.
- For maximum stability and safety, have non-slip gym flooring.
- Why are these better than cable machines? With a power rack with lat pulldown, you can do far more types of power rack exercises, among them free weight training, which is vital to building strength and muscle mass.
Last update on 2020-07-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API