In recent years the suspension trainer exercise equipment becomes very popular and for a good reason. It lets us do hundreds of effective body weight exercises, giving a full body workout. It helps us to build muscle and get strong in a natural way. On top of that, it does not require much space like other home gym machines or weights.
Did you know that the suspension training was invented by a former Navy Seal? He knows what we should do to build a functional physique for sure.
And, did you know that the best suspension trainer exercises always activate the core. No matter if you do exercises for your arms or shoulders, your core muscles are always engaged. So, you can build not only an attractive midsection but a healthy body balance and posture.
Personally, I love it since I can have unilateral moves that are great for boosting the strength of every body part at once. Plus, they train the body to work as a whole.
To sum up, getting bodyweight suspension straps for home is an excellent investment for people at any fitness level to improve their physique.
Best suspension straps
The most well-known, and the first equipment on the market providing superior training experience is the TRX suspension trainer. You can get it in various packages and with extras. However, some find it pricey since the basic set costs about a hundred bucks.
Fortunately, but maybe not ethically, other manufacturers copy this system, and they have come out with cheap suspension trainers like the TRX that give the same workout opportunities.
Among them, the Ultimate Body Press Bodyweight Resistance Trainer has the best value/price ratio. It supports ‘no-rub’ cam buckle placement, exclusive lay flat handles, and a single/multi-point anchoring system, just to mention a few features.
Which is the best to buy?
Well, that depends on how much you are willing to pay. Focusing on the quality, extras, and available packages, TRX is the winner. But, Body Press should be suitable for most of the people as well.
However, I put together a more detailed comparison, reviews, and guide below to help you find the best suspension trainer.
Best Suspension Trainer Reviews
1. The Original TRX Suspension Training System – The Most Professional
My rating:| Price: Price not available
TRX bands were created by Randy Hetrick, a formal Navy Seal who wanted to make a strength training equipment that naturally develops the body. Various packages are available in which fewer or more extras are available such as more types of anchors for indoor/outdoor or workout programs.
Each package comes with a suspension anchor and a door anchor that lets us fix the system indoor or outdoor quickly. But, the PRO versions come with a TRX extension strap giving you extra length when you want to attach the system to high anchor points or thick vertical anchor points such as a tree trunk.
The TRX workout straps come with two convenient and non-slipping handles with two-foot cradles.
The straps are adjustable with the help of buckles to find the optimal length for your height or for the particular exercise. The adjustment is quick, so modifying will not disturb your workout.
The recommended maximum weight capacity of each version is 350 pounds, but the manufacturer tested them up to 1400 lbs. So, you do not have to be afraid of ripping.
Each kit comes with some sort of TRX straps workout guide, but the more expensive packs give more home gym videos, exercise guides, and printed materials. However, there are tons of free sources online.
We are talking about lightweight workout equipment that you can install easily almost anywhere, very versatile, and comes with a pull-string carrying bag. So, you can take it outdoor or when you travel. You will never miss your suspension trainer workout.
- Quick installation anywhere
- Very high maximum capacity, 350 pounds.
- Lots of workout guides (book, DVD, application) depending on the set.
- Comfortable handles
- Easy to adjust
- Great user experience and support
- Expensive, particularly the PRO packs.
2. Ultimate Body Press Bodyweight Resistance Trainer Set – Best Buy TRX Alternative
If you find the TRX suspension trainer overpriced than this equipment will be more sympathetic for you. Even if it cost half or less than TRX, it does not lack any professional functions. It also comes with innovative features that cannot be found in other trainers. Firstly, it has lay-flat handles that provide a more comfortable and secure grip so that you can focus on the exercise better.
The Ultimate Body Press straps are made from incredibly durable and sturdy high-grade military webbing supporting hundreds of pounds maximum load.
Thanks to the “no-rub” buckle placement system, adjusting the length of the straps is a piece of cake. Plus, the extra-wide 6′ heavy-duty straps are index stitched so that you can easily find the needed adjustment on both suspension training straps.
Another professional feature is that the suspension trainer follows the motions of your body. Hence, it provides a natural training environment.
Anchoring the system is easy, as well. You can quickly attach the individual workout straps to any bars. You can also use the utility strap for a vertical post like a tree trunk, or for using the straps from a center point. You also get an S-hook, which makes it easy to install it on the door. Hence, it is suitable for both indoor and outdoor usage.
Finally, you will get a workout placard with 26 illustrated body weight exercises.
- Great price/value ratio
- Comfortable workouts (following the contours of your body & handles)
- Multiple ways to anchor it
- Quick adjustment
- Easy to set
- Exercise guide
- Few buyers had problems with the strap adjustments.
- No video material
3. NOSSK Suspension Bodyweight Fitness Trainer – The Cheapest
Just like the other trainers on the list, NOSSK is a very versatile strap gym equipment that can be attached in various places. You can anchor it to a pull-up bar, overhead mount, or the doorway.
What makes it outstanding is the door attachment comes with extra padding, so you do not have to afraid of damages.
The exercise straps with handles are made from 1st-grade military webbing and tested up to 1000 lb. Still, it is recommended to use up to 300 pounds. The length of the adjustable straps is 8 feet, quite long, so you can choose from various settings and suitable for tall guys.
Since it comes with a double strap attachment, you have more space to exercise between the suspension bands. This is useful, especially if you do push-ups.
It only comes with a guide on which 18 most beneficial gravity exercises are presented.
- Door “safe” attachment is included.
- 300 pounds max weight limit.
- Long exercise straps.
- The buckles are not the best.
4. Lifeline Jungle Gym XT Review
Jungle Gym comes with a split anchor point design, and you can quickly change the distance between the two points. This feature lets you do more types of workouts depending on your fitness level or to target specific muscle groups more effectively.
The gear comes with ergonomic non-slip handles and foot cradles that give you a safe grip to focus only on the exercise. The 8 feet long heavy-duty industrial suspension straps are easy to adjust from 16 to 94 inches to find the optimal length for your height and the activities.
However, plastic length-adjustment latches are not the best. Some customers complain about durability and breakage and with that slipping. So, if you are heavier than average, I would not recommend it for you.
With the suspension trainer system, you get a workout poster and DVD. And you can find some workout videos on youtube that help beginners to get started with suspension training.
Jungle Gym has two anchor point attachment straps that you can fix to almost anywhere inside or outside. The split anchor design enables not just personalized training. Still, also you can do single arm or arm practices with a partner at the same time.
5. Recoil S2 Pro – The Premium Suspension Workout Straps
Compared to the other suspension trainers on this list, this item comes with a recoil system that makes the usage and storage comfortable. We can lock and adjust the straps with a push of a button.
This function is useful since we do not need to find the same length manually. The straps move simultaneously. Also, we can choose any height for the exercises from toe to head. This way, we can personalize the training to our fitness level and choose from more variations.
The length of the straps is a bit longer than 6 feet. Lengthy enough for tall guys to perform the movements with a full range of motion. But, because of the recoil system, it is portable, a small carry bag for storage is enough. Therefore, it is perfect for outdoor training.
The exercise straps are made of sturdy materials, and the non-slip rubber handles give a safe grip. At the bottom of the handles, we can find the loop straps where we can put our feet. Because of its design, they hold the feet tightly, so they will not slip out. However, they are comfortable with shoes because the loops do not have padding.
We can fix the Recoil S2 Pro in two ways. If you have a dedicated space for suspension training, you can use the mount that you can attach to the ceiling or on the wall. If not, you can use the standard door mount. Both options are included in the package.
- Easy to set with a push up of a button.
- Carrying bag, door, and wall mounting are included.
- It is made of premium materials.
- Suitable for advanced level full body weight workouts.
- High price because of the recoil system and the used premium materials.
- Heavy because of the recoil device is made of durable aluminum material.
What are the benefits of suspension training?
If you look around this website, you will see that I’m a great fan of body weight training or so-called calisthenics. I switched from lifting weights to this type of workout a few years ago. Why? Because I wanted to improve my functional strength naturally.
Has my “project” been successful? YES! Calisthenics has helped me to get much better overall strength, supported my weight loss, and boosted my endurance.
And, you will get the same results from suspension training as well. It is a natural and practical training, building you a body that looks not only good but also strong and functions as it should.
Other benefits that should be mentioned:
- Portability, workout whenever you want – As you see above, each trainer comes with various mechanisms to anchor it in different places. You can work out in a room, but you can also go out, attaching it to a tree. Portable and lightweight.
- Complete workout routine for any level – A body weight trainer lets you doing hundreds of suspension system exercises at various levels. Also, you can alter the activities for your fitness level by changing the position of your body. For example, if you are a beginner, you can start with incline push-ups when you almost stand, and as you develop, you go deeper.
- The ultimate core strength trainer – The trainer gives such an environment that forces your body to keep its balance and stability. Hence, your core (abs, obliques, lower back, hamstrings) is always activated to synchronize your lower and upper body. If you want six-pack abs, the suspension training kit will be your best friend.
- Maximum isolation with single side unique movements – I can hardly tell you other gear which is so suitable and safe for unilateral resistance training.
- Improves your flexibility – In the negative phase, your muscles are stretched.
- Full body training – You can choose from a lot of movements to work your lower or upper body with bodyweight exercises.
What to look for when buying
The most important is your safety, so check the following.
- The maximum load of the system stands. The higher, the better. It should be at least 300 lbs.
- How easy it is to adjust the workout straps. It is very annoying when we cannot change the length quickly.
- Where you can anchor it. Door and bar anchoring is the minimum, but getting an extension for (ceiling) vertical anchoring is recommended.
- Handles. They should be non-slip and convenient for your palms.
- Keep in mind that some products come with door anchors, which may scratch the paint. Check the customer reviews or ask the support.
- Price. Unless you are a pro athlete, there is no need to spend hundreds of dollars.
To sum up
A suspension trainer is, without a doubt, excellent bodyweight fitness equipment, which is versatile, compact, and helps to develop safely. Plus, they are not as expensive as other home workout machines. If you have questions, feel free to ask below.
Last update on 2020-04-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API