Last Updated on
If you want to build strong and broad upper body bodyweight back exercises are the best you can do. There are several moves you can do with weights, but I think none of them are as efficient as the ones you can do using your own weight.
Just look at those guys doing calisthenics they have immense, strong back, and they can do amazing movements on the bar. They have a perfect muscular body, and their endurance is excellent as well.
Why Should You Do Calisthenics Back Workouts?
- Firstly, these exercises work several other muscle groups such as biceps, triceps, forearm, shoulders and your core muscles that are responsible for six pack abs.
- These types of motions widen your back efficiently. This way your hips and waist look slimmer. Hence, you have a better-looking body.
- After the leg, these muscles are the second biggest muscle group of the body. That means if you train them you can increase the general power of your body and because many muscles work together you can burn more calories, and that leads to weight loss.
- You do not need any expensive and equipment. You just need a bar or the floor.
- From my personal experience, they are also exceptional for developing the grip strength, lower arms and strengthen the lower parts of the back.
Top Bodyweight Back Exercises at Home
There are two moves you should learn. These are pull ups and chin ups. If you can perform these workouts perfectly and you can do several repetitions, then there are many variations for even better training.
So first you should learn how to do them correctly.
At the beginning of the video, you can find some tips on what you should do if you are a beginner, and you cannot do any yet.
These bodyweight back exercises for beginners are static holds mainly, hanging or you do partial forms.
Equipment for home training
Once, you feel you are getting familiar with the moves above, and your back muscles are stronger, then you can start doing chin ups and pull ups.
However, the correct for is important to get results. Watch the videos below for useful tips.
How to do chin up correctly.
How to do pull-ups accurately.
Recommended: How to do more pull ups
Chin up and pull up variations – Intermediate/advanced moves
If you can the at least ten correct pull ups and chin ups, then you can try their more difficult variations. You know these are the movements done by those professional calisthenics guys such as Frank Medrano.
These moves are surely harder and need stronger muscles, but they will take your back training one step further.
In the video below you can see a lot of variations.
Exercises on rings
To tell the truth, I have not got a pair of gymnastic rings yet, but they are going to be my next investment. These tools are fantastic to work the entire upper body, especially the back.
You can do almost the same moves like on a bar, but it is harder to keep the balance and to perform the exercises. This way even more muscle groups will be engaged.
In this video, you can find many efficient exercises.
Lower back exercises without weights
A lot of people even those who workout regularly suffer from back pain. It is mainly because they neglect this body part. Strong lower back is critical. If you do not strengthen it you make a huge mistake.
In the video, you can learn a few bodyweight exercises that focus on this muscle group. The most important one is the hyperextension. You can do it on the dip station or on the floor, but for me the Roman chair works the best.
What if I’m a beginner?
If you cannot do any pull up s or chin ups correctly yet, then you should start with inverted rows. This exercise will “prepare” your muscles for the harder moves. You can also do inverted rows without equipment by placing a bar on two chairs.
Bodyweight Back Workout Routines
Finally, here are a few workout routines for those who are on a beginner and intermediate fitness level.
There is no question that these activities are efficient, and they are advised by experts. I only do these to train my back. The only weight exercise I do is deadlift since it is an efficient compound exercise that works all parts of my body.
- Beginner calisthenics workout routine guide
- Bodyweight exercises for extraordinary strength
- Back exercises at home for back pain
Did you like these bodyweight exercises for back? Share with your friends!