If you want to build muscle and be stronger, then weights are the most valuable pieces of strength training equipment you can have at home. They are easy to use, you can do a wide range of exercises with them for each of your body parts and compared to home gym machines they are cheaper.
The most common weight training equipment are the dumbbells and barbells, but we should not forget about kettlebells that are excellent tools as well.
What are the benefits of lifting weights?
- Using free weights are the most efficient for building muscles and develop functional strength.
- Since you have to control the motion more (unlike machines that control the entire movement), it engages more muscle groups at once, and it is especially beneficial for the core muscles.
- Weight lifting increases the metabolism of the body naturally leading to better calorie burning.
- It is a natural cure for osteoporosis.
- This type of training enhances your balance.
Are there any cons?
On the other hand, if you own more muscle mass, because of lifting weights, that boosts your metabolism, and with that, you will be able to burn more calories during your cardio training. Hence, the best option is to combine them.
What is the most beneficial free weight to buy first?
Of course, it depends on your aims. But let’s say you would like to put on some extra muscle and improve your strength. And you are a beginner.
If that is the case, I recommend a pair of dumbbells. There are traditional ones in various sizes, or you can buy adjustable dumbbell kit that allows you to change the plates to reduce or increase the resistance. The handles of the dumbbells are sometimes covered with rubber or foam for better grip.
I prefer adjustable dumbbells since I can save space and they let me add or remove weights quickly.
Why start with dumbbell workouts?
They are lighter so you can learn how to perform the exercises correctly and avoid injuries. Simply, you will get used to lifting weights, and you can go on doing barbell training.
Moreover, because dumbbell exercises need more focused motion controlling, several muscles are engaged at the same time.
Watch the video to see how to choose dumbbells.
Where to buy dumbbells? I got mine from Amazon because of the cheap prices.
My Amazon Picks for Dumbbells
- SET OF 2 DUMBBELLS - 105 LBS TOTAL (52.5 LBS EACH SIDE): TWO 16"x1.15" handles, SIXTEEN 5-pound plates, FOUR 2.5-pound plates, FOUR 1.25-pound plates, FOUR collars handles, shipped in two packages.
- CAST IRON WEIGHT PLATES FIT 1.15-INCH STANDARD BAR: Accommodate all standard 1.15-inch handles. Durable cast iron plates covered with black paint finish preventing rust and corrosion for lifetime use
- Each dumbbell adjusts from 5 to 52.5 pounds; adjusts in 2.5-pound increments up to the first 25 pounds
- Lets you rapidly switch from one exercise to the next
- High Quality Cast Iron, Chrome Handles
- 52.5Lbs Set Including One Textured Solid Chrome Handle, Two Collars(5lbs), Eight 5 Lbs Plates, Two 2.5Lbs PLates, Two 1.25Lbs Plates
The next step: Barbell workouts
Once, you are used to lifting weights the next home gym equipment you may invest into is a barbell.
Barbell moves have the same benefits, but you will be able to use heavier weights. That leads to even better strength and muscle development.
The problem is that to maximize the outcome of your new barbell; you may need to buy a weight bench and/or a rack. That means extra cost, but you will have almost everything you need to have complete strength training at home. And if the bar does not come with weight plates, that means an extra cost, too.
Watch the video below to learn how to buy a barbell.
My Amazon Picks for Barbell
- Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
- Includes 7 Ft Olympic Bar
- Save time and money working out at home with the US Weight 55 LB Weight Set
- Includes (2) 5 lb. weights, (4) 10 lb. weights, (1) barbell bar, (2) locking spring clips
- 7' Olympic Bar - Chrome Finish
- 30mm Dia at Grip, 51.5" between collars
How much do weights cost?
Depending on the size of the dumbbells, a set is around $20-$80 dollars. The latest models of adjustable dumbbells, that cost more, let you change the amount of weight quickly with a pin and they combine many sets of dumbbells into one.
Of course, a barbell with plates is more expensive depending on the amount of weight and if it is Olympic or not. Typically, they are around $100-$300.
And quality, adjustable weight benches are around $150-$400. Power racks are the most expensive home gym equipment, but there are complete models with all the features you will ever need.
Where to buy weights?
I have bought almost all the fitness equipment I have at home online, mainly from Amazon. After checking out many online stores and shops nearby I have found out that Amazon is the best place to buy free weights because of the low prices. Plus, there are always great deals and the shipping is usually free. Comfortable and cheap shopping what they provide.
Recommended: Buy the Best Home Gym Equipment at Lowest Price Here
Another alternative is Rogue Fitness, a company that is popular for their highest quality exercise equipment in USA. Their Olympic quality products are bit more expensive, but providing the highest standards.
Things to consider before buying home gym weights
Firstly, you do not want to pay for something that you will never use. I have seen so many people buying expensive home gyms that after two months landed in the corner of the garage to put flowers on it.
If you have never done workouts before, do not buy expensive equipment, a pair of dumbbells or a barbell will do. And if after some months you still feel the power to train, then invest into more professional home gym equipment.
A crucial thing you must keep in mind! Lifting weight can be dangerous, and it can cause harm to your joints and muscles. Hence, it is vital to learn how to perform the exercises correctly and do not use too have weights at first. Your mind and body need time to get used to this type of training if you have not done it before.
I hope now you can decide what sort of weight you need to start building muscles or toning your body at home. Training with weights is an excellent way to boost your fitness and with proper nutrition, you can get great results without going to the gym.
Did you find this buyer’s guide to weights useful? Share with your friends.
Last update on 2018-04-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API