Walking seems to be an easy activity that everybody does but do not underestimate the health and fitness benefits of this simple exercise.
Several studies have proved that walking for weight loss works even if it is a mild way to train. It works almost all the muscles, not just legs, and because of this, you can burn calories efficiently.
Besides, it improves you balance and posture, regulate your blood pressure, strengthen your bones and it improves your endurance. And if these benefits of walking were not enough it is a natural cure for stress, anger, tiredness and mental problems.
So, if you are a man or woman who do not like running, hard cardio and strength training workouts, then walking is an excellent option for you to lose weight and keep your body healthy.
On top of that, walking can be easily integrated into your daily routine.
How much should you walk to get good results?
Doctors recommend having at least 10000 steps each day. That seems to be many, but that means about 45-60 minutes moderate walking. Of course, if you are beginner you need to have shorter training and increase the time gradually.
Anyway, if you walk about 5 times week for 30-40 minutes you make a huge step towards a healthier and happier life.
Do you want to get even better results from walking?
Of course, you do! If you are familiar with walking longer distances, then there are a few tricks you can do to make your workouts even more efficient.
How? By paying more attention to walking correctly, focusing on your muscles and adding intervals to your workout. Just follow the walking tips within the infographic below.
Let’s Recap How to Burn Fat While You Walk
- Your shoulders and back must be relaxed but straight. Do not look down while you walk, because that makes your posture worse.
- Do brisk walking that increases your heart rate so you will be able to burn more calories. Imagine you are late.
- Swing your arms. Keep them at 90 degrees and move them back and towards. This way you will engage more muscles. And it strengthens your shoulders and arm muscles.
- Do you want to shape your glutes even better? Then, squeeze it!
- Did you know that walking is great to strengthen your core? Just pull your abdominal muscles in and flex them while you walk.
- Walk on different grounds. If you have ever tried to walk on grass, small rocks or in the snow, you know it is harder to keep going on. So, try various types of terrain to make your muscles work harder.
- Increase your stride length to tone your outer and inner tights completely.
- Add intervals to make your walk more challenging and to burn more calories. For example, walk backwards, lift your knees, push your toes off or climb stairs. You may also want to add short jogging or running intervals. The intervals should be between 30-60 seconds.
- If you live in a hilly area, then walk up and downhill. But I’m sure you can find steep places if you reside in a city.
Is there any equipment to boost my walks?
If you want to add an extra boost to your walking sessions, you can choose from various tools.
For example, if you are at a better fitness level, then you may want to use a weight vest or use a backpack. So, you can add extra resistance.
Another efficient equipment is the Nordic walking poles that help you to burn about 50% more calories.
Are there any things to make my walking better?
I have to mention that wearing quality walking shoes is crucial. They protect your leg muscles, joints and help you to keep the proper posture. Also, they make your training comfortable and efficient.
Are you spending most of your life in your office sitting on your chair? Did you know that sitting too much is one of the main reasons for common illnesses such as diabetes, heart problems, etc.? A walking desk treadmill can help you to avoid these diseases! On top of that, you can have your daily steps while you work.
And finally, I remind you that there are excellent applications for those who want to walk for weight loss and getting fit. Just do a search and you can find several useful apps for your mobile device.
What is next?
Walk whenever and wherever you can! This everyday activity has so many benefits for you, besides losing weight, that it is maybe the best training you could do.
Did you learn how to burn more calories with walking? Don’t forget to share with your friends!