If you do calisthenics, one of the most important upper body muscle building exercises is surely pull-ups. And for most of us, it is a kind of challenge to do as many as we can (it is like the bench press for weight lifters). It would be good to perform 25-30 or more at once, wouldn’t it?
But from my experience and questions on various online communities, most of the people stuck at one level after some time of training. In the beginning, the development is rather fast, but as time goes it slows down, and we reach a number of reps that we think is the maximum for us, and we cannot get over.
However, there are many tricks you can try to improve those pull-up reps. From the following video, you can learn a few from experts. I hope their tips will help you to understand how to increase pull ups reps. It was also a good motivation for me.
If you want to learn calisthenics inside out, check out the Barstarzz BTX program here.
Let’s recap how to do more pull-ups
- With each set try to do as many as you could, and when you reach the point where you cannot pull yourself totally up, keep that static position where you are as long as you can. At the end, lower yourself slowly.
- Most of them have pull-ups training 2-5 times a week. But they do not always go for max reps and failure.
- While most of the people think the strength training of the back muscles is the most important, strong shoulder muscles are also crucial. Hence, train your shoulders with dips and push-ups.
- While getting high reps is tempting, always keep the proper form to get a full range of motion. Avoid kipping.
- Do pull-ups with various grips like shoulder width, close and wide, overhand grip and underhand grip.
- To make your grips and forearms stronger do negative pull-ups as long as you can.
- Try to change the intensity of the movement and your workout as well.
- Rhythm helps to do more.
- Chin over the bar.
My personal tips
- Weight loss. Logically, the heavier you are, the harder to do strict pull-ups. If you have extra pounds on you, lose fat by changing your diet and do cardio workouts.
- Assisted pull-ups. You can use the machine or a resistance band to increase the number of repetitions. But, do not use too much support, just a little bit. Think about these tools as if you have a spotter who helps you to do one or two more reps. (Higher reps also prepare your nervous system.)
- Improve your grip strength. A typical mistake of people who build muscle that they do not strengthen their forearms and grip, because they believe that other exercises will do. But, for lifting heavy, or in this case clinging to the pull-up bar for an extended period requires strong hands. Here you can learn bodyweight forearm exercises or check this post for barbell and dumbbells grip strengthening advice. Also, just hanging on the bar or negatives make your palms stronger.
- Lat pulldowns. The lat pulldown machine can also help you to strengthen those muscle groups, mainly your latissimus dorsi, which are required for pull-ups. Plus, you can use it for high or rep sets. It is useful to add some variety to your upper body strength workout routine.
- Core strength. Include more core exercises in your training program. Those muscles help to control the motion.
- Biceps curl. Besides your back muscles, your biceps activated during pull-ups. Make them stronger with some weight lifting (barbell or dumbbell exercises), or here you can learn bodyweight exercises for biceps.
- Weighted pull-ups. You may try to add additional resistance with a weighted vest or a dumbbell. It is excellent for progressive overload.
- Stretching. Stretch your entire body before and after your workout. It helps to avoid injuries and speeds up the recovery.
- Rest and proper nutrition. Avoid over-training your body since it has a severe counter effect. It leads to performance loss and injuries. Give your muscles time to recover. Also, you cannot develop without proper nutrition. Your body requires fuel to develop. Consume foods rich in healthy fats, carbs, and protein.
Anyway, these suggestions are the same for the answer to how to do more chin ups as well.
The most important advice
Be patient! Those guys who can do a lot of pull-ups have been practicing for years. As with everything, if you stick to your plan, the results will come.
Have you got any advice on how to do more pull-ups? Share with us below.
Last update on 2019-11-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API