If you have determined to start a diet, you may have already checked some. There is no doubt that choosing a diet plan is not easy since there are a lot of out there, of course each of them is promoted as the most efficient one. While ones say an eating plan works fine, others complain about its inefficiency.
Firstly, I would like to warn you to avoid fad diets. Unfortunately, these are just over-hyped regimes that will not bring long lasting results.
There are only a few programs that are proven to be efficient and healthy, such as DASH or Mediterranean. An effective program contains all the necessary nutrients like protein, beneficial carbohydrates and fatty acids, minerals and vitamins in the proper amount. Force you to consume more vegetables, fruits, lean meat and whole grains, almost only healthy foods. Furthermore, it allows you to have as little processed foods as possible. Simply, it teaches you how to eat better.
But how do you know if the eating plan you want to choose is optimal for you or not? What is the best way to start a diet?
The best is if you ask questions yourself before starting it. There are many factors you need to keep in mind before starting one.
Below you can find these questions that will help you to decide.
In most of the cases, you should change your eating habits and lifestyle, and that may bring extra expenses that you can afford or not. Anyway, most of the proven diet plans do not cost too much.
- Do I have to buy special weight loss products?
- Do you I have to buy equipment that supports my weight loss such as cooking tools and fitness equipment?
- How much will I have to spend on the foods that I will consume?
Foods You can Eat
One of the main reasons why people give up diet is that they should consume foods that they do no like or they have to neglect their favorite ones. Hence, it is important to know the food restrictions.
- What sorts of foods and drinks am I allowed to consume?
- Can I live without the foods that are restricted?
- Do I really like foods that I should consume?
- Will I be able to live with a long run with my new eating habit?
- Am I allowed to eat out?
- Will I have to get supplements? Are they safe?
The Amount of Time and Effort
The best diets are those which bring slower but long lasting results based on the lifestyle and eating habit changes. You should learn how to eat and live healthily, and they need time and effort.
- Do I have to prepare my meals and if yes, how much time will it take?
- Will I have to cook for myself and my family separately?
- Will I have to pay attention to and track things like the amount of carbs and fats, portion size and calories?
- Will I be able to integrate the diet into my schedule and lifestyle?
- Will it bring temporary or permanent results?
- How much time does it take to see results? Will I be able to dedicate myself for such time?
- Does the weight loss plan interfere with my family?
The most important factor of a good diet is that it must be healthy. It should provide all the necessary nutrients your body needs to function properly. If the plan tells you to have little or too much from one sort of food group or nutrient, that is not healthy. If you have a chronic illness, always consult with you doctor.
- Is the diet safe for me?
- How does it affect my current medical condition?
In my opinion, those plans are the best for losing weight and has beneficial health impacts, that require regular working out. Healthy eating and frequent exercising are basics of health. An exercise plan helps to burn more calories and has a beneficial impact on your metabolism.
On the other hand, not everybody has enough time.
- Do I want to workout?
- What sorts of training will I have to do? Would I really like to do it?
- Will I have enough time to exercise?
- Do I have the required equipment to workout?
- Will I have to go to do gym or workout out at home?
Learn why exercising is crucial.
If you are new to dieting, then you need support to learn the basics of proper nutrition and get help from others. In addition, in order to avoid giving up it is always good to have people around you who are in the same shoes as you.
Hence, join online communities, ask help from a personal trainer, find someone who you can workout and start the diet with. Tell your friends and family that you want to lose weight and ask them to understand, support you and help if you need.
I believe these question can help a lot to understand how to go on a diet.These were the questions that I asked myself when I decided to change my eating and exercising habits. The proof that they work is that I have sticked to my diet and workouts for almost three years now. As a result, I have been able to burn more that 50 pounds and fitter and healthier than ever before.
This infographic from Greatist compares the most popular diet programs.
Did you get help on how to start a diet plan? Share with your friends.