I have been asked many times by my friends “What should I do to workout my inner chest?”.
Yes, that line between the pectoralis muscles looks good and makes the entire upper body more attractive if it is thin.
Firstly, you have to understand that there is no such muscle as inner pecks. The chest has an upper part and lower part, and there is no outer and inner part.
The so-called inner chest is the sternum, a kind of “gap” between your pectoralis.
There can be a few reasons why you have a wide sternum. The two main reasons are the following.
One reason can be that you do not have enough muscle mass yet. Hence, your chest is flat. The good news is that you can cure it efficiently by doing exercises that develop mass such as incline, decline and flat bench presses with barbell or dumbbell.
The other reason can be that genetically you have a wide sternum. If that case you are unlucky and you will have to try many types of exercises to find the one(s) that work you the best. You know, what works for others may not work for you, and vice versa.
What are the best exercises to shape that part of the chest?
You need to focus on those moves that build mass for both your upper and lower pecs. If you have the mass muscles will stand out and the width of the sternum will be thinner. Work out with heavy dumbbells and barbells.Recommended: What are the Best Chest Exercises
If you already have mass but your inner pecs is still wide then you should try some movements that target the middle of the pectoral muscles more efficiency.
The most recommended ones are the following.
Close grip bench press. However, you need to find out how to handle the bar to stimulate the pectoralis instead of the triceps. For example, for me works better if the width is closer than suggested, that is when I feel the traction. Try various grip widths to see which works you the best. You may also want to try the decline or the incline version.
Diamond push ups. If you prefer or use bodyweight exercises for chest training, then this move is the alternative for the previous one. Actually, for me it does not work so well since I feel the stimulation in my triceps and shoulders more than I want, although I have tried several forms.
Dumbbell chest press. The advantage of dumbbells is that you can stretch and flex the chest muscles more efficiently since you can perform a full range of motion. You can lower your arms deeper at the bottom and get them closer to the top. That leads to better stimulation and toning. You can also try the incline or decline versions.
Dumbbell chest flys are great movements for isolation, but you must perform them correctly to get results. You do not need to use heavy weights. Focus on lowering and lifting the weights slowly while you keep the position of your arms, the right angle and focus on your pectoralis muscles.
Alternatively you can do this exercise with cable crossover machine that lets to perform the move correctly more smoothly.
Workouts for Inner Chest
Finally, I have collected a bunch of chest workout videos in which you can learn more tips and exercises presented by the pros.Recommended: You can find more chest training tips here.
Get The Best Equipment to Build Your Chest At Home
- PREMIUM STEEL CONSTRUCTION - Constructed from rugged, foam, and vinyl to provide sturdy exercise gear for long usage, the surge bench is safe and comfortable. The construction is compact and stabilized to provide optimal support for daily workouts!
- DUAL-FUNCTION LEG DEVELOPER - Dual-features include a pivot point that aligns with the knee joints and a locking mechanism for abdominal exercise, this unit facilitates proper body posture and allows for maximum effect on the targeted muscle groups.
- Adjustable Flat Incline Decline Bench with 2" x 3" rectangular frame - Weight capacity of 1500 lbs.
- Workout bench is constructed with heavy-duty 11-gauge steel main frame thats treated with scratch-free powder coating for superior durability
- Full Olympic-size bench with incline, decline, and flat bench positions
- Comes with leg lift, lat tower, and preacher curl attachments
Did you like these muscle building tips? Share with your friends.
Last update on 2017-11-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API