Last Updated on the June 11, 2020
A pull up dip station, or power tower is the most valuable home exercise equipment. With the help of it, you can perform the most beneficial bodyweight strength training exercises for the upper body. Build big back, arms, broaden your shoulders, and do abs workouts for six-packs. Towers are compact and versatile machines that help you to build muscle without going to the gym. You can choose from many types of towers. How do you know which one is suitable for you? Will it suit your weight, fitness level, budget, or the space available?
Here I’d like to help you to find the most suitable pull-up dip bar for you. Check out the quick comparison, read the reviews, and the buying guide below.
Top-Rated Home Pull Up Dip Station Comparison
Best Power Tower for Home Reviews
1. Fitness Reality X Class Multi-Function Workout Tower – The Best / Suitable for Advanced Level Athletes
This unit has been designed for professionals for sure. Compared to the other fitness power towers here, it has the highest weight capacity of 400 lbs. This is beneficial for those who want to use extra weight while they work out. For example, I’m 230 lbs. This way, I can put on extra 170 pounds for additional resistance for my pull-ups and dips. (Unfortunately, I’m not strong enough to do that yet.) The robustness of the frame can be seen. The steel tube frame is thicker than the other towers have here.
Another great feature of this multifunction exercise equipment is its adjustability. It comes with two handlebars that can be set in 7 mounting positions and that provide even more possibilities to exercise. For example, you can set them for lighter dips, progressive pull-ups, or also use them for doing sit-ups.
Also, the Fitness Reality power tower comes with two types of pull-up bars. The typical wider and a narrower one. Hence, you can do pull-ups and chin-ups in various angles to focus on one particular muscle group more.
- Thickly padded backrest and elbow rest for comfort.
- You can perform over 20 different exercises with it.
- Easy assembly
- It can be adjusted in several ways.
- Commercial grade pull up and adjustable dip station.
- Durable steel construction
- Compared to the other equipment here the price is much higher, but the quality and weight capacity are better.
- The adjustable dip bars are a bit thick.
If you are searching for a well-built and high user weight limit equipment for your home calisthenics workout that is perfect for any fitness level, then this is the best buy for you. Although it is not cheap.
2. Weider Power Tower – Good Value for the Money
If you are a gym-goer, I’m sure you have met some Weider gym equipment. Weider is a successful brand making high-quality items. For those who prefer bodyweight training, this pull up dip station can be an excellent choice. It is an affordable piece of equipment that is loved by buyers for its robust design. It does not wobble under an average user and comfortable to use because of its thickly padded elbow pads and backrest.
Most of the customers say this power tower is a good value for the money, but it has a few minor issues. Most of the problems come from the assembly. People find it hard to put it together because of missing parts, not correctly made holes and bolts, and the not user-friendly assembly instructions. But, skilled trainnees have already shared practical tips for non-techies.
Weider can handle about 300 pounds safely. Some men use it with weights, so they go ever slightly about that user weight capacity. But they do not complain about severe wobbling while they do pull-ups and dips. Users recommend it for those who want to do P90X workouts.
Keep in mind, it is not a small dip and pull-up station since it measures 84 inches height (213 cm). Hence, this pull up dip station is suitable for taller people. However, for this height, the footprint should be bigger for even better stability, I think.
To sum up, the Weider power tower is an excellent buy considering the price and the user experience. However, ask for help if you are bad at putting things together.
Customers like it for its sturdy and massive structure that provides rock solid and wobble-free usage. The leg raise station is comfortable to use because of the comfy pads and the support. Its durable steel tubing will make it perfect for years of use. A few customers found it hard to put together.
3. Stamina 1690 – The Cheapest and Most Compact
Well, Stamina 1690 power tower seems to be just a free-standing pull-up bar, but this product provides more functions than that. It has a push-up station and dip handles as well. Its compact design makes it an excellent choice for those who have only a small space. Many shoppers use it in their apartment.
Compared to other models here, 1690 is much lighter, and with that, it is not as robust as the others. But this way, you can quickly move it around the house. Keep in mind that the unit can handle only 250 lbs, though.
Even if this is the cheapest pull up and dip station equipment here, it has been awarded a lot of positive customer reviews. People with healthy weight and height can use it comfortably, and it rocks just a little that does not disturb their workouts.
As you see, it does not come with a vertical knee raise station, but it has a sit-up bar. However, because of the lightweight of it, I do not recommend to use, since Stamina 1690 might fall on you. You can get rid of that by placing something on the frame base.
In case you are searching for an affordable model, and you have an average weight, then this power tower fitness equipment is maybe the right choice for you. 1690 is lightweight and has a small footprint, so it is perfect for small apartments. However, it does not come with a leg raise station for abs training.
Users like it for its sturdy and massive structure that provides stable and wobble-free usage. The VKR is comfortable to use because of the comfy pads and the support. Its durable steel tubing will make it perfect for years of use. A few customers found it hard to put together.
4. KiNGKANG Adjustable Height Power Tower
This adjustable tower is one of the most popular items on Amazon these days since it has many powerful features.
Firstly, the base is extended to 51 inches and has a U-shaped design. At the front, the stabilizers go to the sides for even better stability, and they are connected with two crossbars. Each end is equipped with non-slip rubber caps. Because of this structure, the power tower is very stable.
The adjustable pull-up bar makes it an outstanding product. We can choose from six levels from 64.96″- 92.52″. That is very beneficial since we can find the optimal height for us. Also, the 90″ height makes it a suitable tower for tall people.
The heavy-duty steel frame supports up to 330 lb maximum load, so it’s suitable for big guys or to workout with additional weight.
The elbow pads and back pad is thickly-padded and ergonomically designed for comfortable verticle knee raise exercises. However, the chin-up bar and the back support is almost at the same line. Hence, if the user can’t yet perform the pull up with an aligned body, the backrest is in the way.
As a unique feature, barbell catches are added to the backside of the uprights. They are useful for weighted exercises such as biceps curls, military press.
- High weight capacity. (330 lbs)
- Stable and comfortable design and padding.
- Adjustable pull-up station.
- Multiple workout posts.
- Easy to assemble
- Powder coating durable steel construction
- Big machine
- Disturbing backrest if the pull ups are done without a vertical body.
5. BowFlex BodyTower – Perfect for Beginners
This power tower is optimal for those beginners who need some help to do abdominal exercises such as knee raises. It comes with sling straps. You can place your elbows on them, helping you to perform the moves more correctly. You will not swing forward and backward.
Another great feature of Bowflex is that the dip station is adjustable with the help of the EZ-Adjust horizontal bars. This way, if you cannot do triceps dips accurately yet by lowering the bars, you can place your leg on the floor. Hence, it will be easier to perform the exercises.
Also, it comes with a workout placard that helps beginners to get started with the exercises.
The design of this dip pull-up station is stable as well. People over 200 lbs use it without rocking. Some of them even use additional weights with it.
My problem is the height of the chin-up bar. That is just 77 inches (195 cm), so for tall men, Bowflex is not the best option.
If you need a genuinely robust, commercial-grade tower that comes with a few extra functions, Bowflex Bodytower is an excellent buy. It comes with ab straps that are useful for those who are not yet able to perform pull-up or leg raises correctly. Also, this item is made from a commercial-grade steel frame and has a workout placard.
6. XMark Fitness XM-4434 – Suitable for Taller People
Opposed to the other power towers here, this chin up and dip station can handle 350 lbs. Hence, XM-4434 is suitable for heavier users or for those who want to use extra weights for their workout. Also, its height is 82 inches (211 cm), which makes it a good option for taller people.
Moreover, the assembly is not as complicated. Shoppers can quickly put it together, although there are a few issues with missing parts.
The back and arm pads are thickly-padded and well-placed, providing comfortable and supporting usage. Besides, the distance between the dip bars is also comfy to use.
It is the tower that we got to my friends. It works for him well. He is higher and heavier than average, but he can use it comfortably. It does not wobble and has all the exercise stations. Plus, the unit comes with rubber feet for floor protection and in white or grey colors.
7. Body Champ VKR1010 – Enhanced stability
Body Champ is a bit more expensive power tower, but the customers love it. Thanks to the heavy-duty steel frame and the D-frame base, making it a very steady workout station. The height of the pull-up bar is also OK since it is 83 inches (210 cm) and offers multiple hand grips.
The design and the used materials are so good that the manufacturer provides the warranty for even a light commercial setting.
Customers find it very comfortable because of the thick and heavy-duty box-style cushions. Plus, it looks rather well in a home gym.
Another not so pricey product that customers like. It has a D-frame base for enhanced stability. It is built from heavy-duty steel frame making suitable for light commercial usage. A few customers complain about shipping problems.
8. Body Champ PT600 – For tall users
The Body Champ PT600 power tower is the right choice for tall people since it’s tall and has wide dip bars and armrests. That is why short people find it uncomfortable to use, so if you are shorter then average, don’t buy it.
As you see, the tower has a design that leans backward. That is beneficial since we have enough room when doing pull-ups and the back is supported better while doing vertical knee raises.
The frame base is broad and angled to the sides at the front, which the tower very stable. Even heavy users feel it sturdy and robust. The maximum weight capacity is around 250 lb, but customers think it stands more than that.
9. Gold’s Gym XR 10.9
This power tower comes with a reasonable price range, and the quality is pretty good as well. For an average user, this multi-grip pull up dip station is an excellent choice for sure. It also has a D-frame base for extra stability, although the footprint should be a bit wider for even better balance.
Another complete workout station that comes with all the functions. And compared to other products, it looks better. Users like it for its stability and easy assembly.
10. Stamina Outdoor Fitness Tower – Best for Outdoor Workout
In case you want to workout outside in your garden, this is the tower you need. This pull up dip station is specially designed for outdoor usage, so it comes with UV and rust protection. Heavier than the other models, and it is incredibly sturdy. You can quickly make your backyard a great place to workout.
Which is the best power tower?
If you are willing to pay a little bit more, then Fitness Reality X Class High Capacity Multi-Function Power Tower gym can be the best choice. It is a gym quality product.
Even heavier and pro users find it sturdy, even if it should be bolted together. Compared to other pull up towers, it is heavier and comes with a wider and longer basement, for better stability.
If we see the price, the best model you can get for your money is the Stamina 1690 Power Tower. When this post was written, it was for sale, under $100! Although it is the cheapest, the reviews are pretty positive.
The average users think it is well-built and stable. They can do the pull ups, chin ups, and dip without the feeling of dangerous wobbling. Users also like it as it does not take so much space, and many of them use it in their small flats. I think, because of its lightweight, 1690 is portable as well.
Are there any cons? Since it is lighter, heavier or more advanced users feel that it wobbles too much, and few customers complain about the bent of the pull-up bar.
Why buy a pull and dip station?
There is no question that bodyweight exercises such as pull-ups, dips, push-ups, and others are traditional but proven methods to build a firm body. Just think about the army, soldiers are trained almost only with these moves to get functional power.
I’m a big fan of calisthenics, and I have been able to get excellent results just by these bodyweight moves. I used to pump iron, but I switched to bodyweight training since it is more enjoyable, safer, and the same results can be achieved. Just think about Frank Medrano, Hannibal, and others training their bodies with these moves.
Following me, one of my friends decided to start bodyweight workouts at home. The only problem was that he lives in a small town where there is not a calisthenics playground yet, so he needed a pull up and dip station to be able to perform the necessary movements. Furthermore, his house is not so big. Hence, he needed a compact workout station.
I recommended him to buy a fitness power tower since it comes with both a dip and pull-up station, and it does not need so much space.
After checking out a lot of reviews together, he finally bought his Body Champ VKR1010, and he cannot be happier with it. Now he can do all those proven bodyweight movements at home such as chin-ups, pull-ups, dips, hanging leg raises whenever he wants.
Here are some more benefits:
- With the help of the free-standing pull-up station, you can do chin-ups and pull-ups that are proven to be the best moves for the back muscles as well as for the arms and shoulders. Also, you can do different hanging leg raises that do magic to abs.
- The dip station lets you perform the dip move that stimulates the triceps, shoulder, and chest muscle groups efficiently.
- Some power towers come with push-up bars as well that allows you to do wider or narrower push-ups, or you can go down deeper. This leads to better chest muscle stimulation, and you can train pecs from different angles.
- Some towers also come with a vertical knee raises station with comfortable armrest and handlebars to perform the exercises more efficiently. This feature is especially beneficial for beginners.
- The power tower does not require so much workout space. Even if you live in a rather small flat, you can have a complete upper body workout routine. But you must check the dimensions if you have a low ceiling.
- You can buy a free-standing dip station exercise equipment and a free-standing pull-up station separately, but why would you pay more? You will be able to make the same moves with a pull up dip machine, and it does not need so much workout space.
- Did you know that bodyweight exercises help to burn more calories than the ones you do for a particular muscle group with weights? The reason is that during these movements more muscles work together, and that obviously requires more energy. Therefore, with these different exercises, you will be able to add an extra boost to your weight loss.
- A station is suitable for various types of workouts such as calisthenics, Crossfit, etc.
To sum up, a pull up dip station is going to be an incredibly useful piece of fitness exercise equipment of your home gym to build muscle and strength.
Related: Guide to power tower exercises
What to look for when buying a pull up tower?
In the comparison chart above I collected the 10 best power towers available today that are loved by users and with that highly-rated based on reviews. Hence, quality is not a question.
However, here are some tips you should keep in mind before purchasing an exercise machine.
- Check the dimensions to know if you have enough space to store and use the tower.
- Check the warranty and the shipping info. Anyway, free shipping is almost always available.
- See the maximum weight limit. The products above are suitable for average men or women.
- The stable basement is critical. Who wants to work out on a power tower that wobbles. It is not only dangerous but also will not let you focus on your training. The cheaper models are a bit lighter which is a sign that not so much “material’ has been used. I believe the heavier, the better, although that home fitness equipment is a bit more pricey.
- If you are a beginner, buy one that comes with features that help you to perform the exercises correctly. For example, Bowflex Bodytower comes with straps and with VKR station. Or you can buy an assisted pull up machine for home use.
- Finally, we should not forget the prices. As you see, most of the models are between $100-200, but the workout experience between the cheaper and more expensive items are big. If you can afford, buy a bit more expensive one. It is a one-time investment, but you will enjoy it for long years.
- If you are lack space you can buy a wall-mounted dip station with vertical knee raise.
- If you are a total beginner and you cannot make pull up sand dips correctly yet, it is maybe a be better if you buy an assisted pull up machine. Or you can use rubber bands as help.
Do power towers build muscle mass?
People think the only way to build muscle is weight training. The muscles develop if they regularly get resistance training for which they have to adapt. No matter if that load comes from weight lifting, bodyweight training, or rubber bands, they will grow. So, yes, with a power tower, you can build muscles. Of course, you can’t grow as big as bodybuilders, but you can make a healthy and muscular physique.
Moreover, calisthenics exercises are compound moves meaning more than one muscle group is engaged during the movements. That way, these exercises build functional strength, and they are more natural to the joints and muscles.
What exercises can you do on a power tower?
- Pull-ups, chin-ups with various hand grips positions to target different parts of the back and arms.
- Captains chair exercises such as vertical leg raises, vertical knee raises, and their variations.
- Push up variations.
- Chest and triceps dip variaitons.
The only moves you can’t do are the leg exercises.
I tried to do my best to pick the most reliable models here, so no matter which you buy, you will surely have a well-performing fitness gear power tower. For a one time investment, you will have proven home gym equipment that provides everything you need to build a great looking body without going anywhere.
I hope I could help you to make a purchase that suits your needs and if you have some questions, feel free to ask below. I’m going to help you.
Did you find this guide to pull up dip stations useful? Share with your friends.
Last update on 2020-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API