If for any of the following questions below, your answer is yes, then you should try sandbag workouts.
Do you want to try out something new to exercise? Are you bored with ordinary exercise equipment such as the free weights or those cardio machines? Want to have more challenging training? Would you like to do functional training?
Yes, sandbags are more than just tools for strength training, they can be used in so many ways. And I’m sure after reading this article you will agree with me.
From this guide, you will learn the following:
- What are the benefits of sandbag training.
- Why it is so versatile.
- How it can be used instead of other equipment, so you do not have to go to the gym.
- How it can help you to be stronger, burn fat, develop your core muscles, improve your stability and why it so good for conditioning.
- Also, you will learn more than 30 sandbag exercises and find workout routines.
- And finally, which are the best models to buy at an affordable price.
Reasons to Do Sandbag Training
It is a very versatile equipment that is perfect for upper and lower body workouts, and even for boosting your cardio training. It is inexpensive, adjustable and make your workouts more exciting.
Let me give you some reasons why it is so beneficial.
Develop Your Grip Strength
If you are into working out for some time, you know how important the power of your grips and forearms is, especially when you train with free weights.
Catching and holding a dumbbell or a barbell is easy since there is a convenient place to grab. However, a sandbag has not got that. So, you have to grip it tightly and that leads to grip and lower arm development. The sandbag grip workout is especially beneficial for combat athletes such as MMA, judo or for wrestlers (grappling). But for other sports like rugby or Crossfit as well.
Improve Your Balance and Core Muscles
If you have ever made standing kettlebell exercises, you know they are so powerful to develop your core muscles and with that your posture. You can use the sandbag in the same ways, but because of its shape, it is even more efficient.
Also, if you do movements placing the bag on one of your shoulders, you will even have better core training. For example, do squats with it. Just imagine how your obliques, abs and lower back should work to keep your balance.
Efficient Equipment to Boost Common Exercises
It can be used in several ways to add extra resistance to the traditional exercises depending on how you hold the bag. These are powerful techniques for muscle gain.
Do you want to boost your abdominal workouts? Just do the traditional abs exercises such as crunches, sit-ups, etc. with it.
Hold it on one of your shoulders, or on both, overhead, or hug it while you do squats. All these versions will strengthen and tone your legs in different ways.
Do you want to strengthen your shoulders? Do military presses with it, raise it in front of you or on your sides.
And these are just a few examples. There is no limit how many ways it is possible to use it to make your workouts more challenging. The bag is particularly ideal for boosting your bodyweight workouts.
Weight Loss & Endurance
Since the bag is hard to grab and hold, a lot of muscles work together to keep your balance and to perform the motions correctly. The more muscles are engaged, the more calories are burned. Hence, it is perfect for losing weight.
Also, this fitness equipment is an excellent option to develop your endurance. For example, hug the bag and run or do explosive jumps with it or just walking with it. You cannot do these exercises with other free weights.
To sum up, a sandbag is a useful exercise equipment for anyone who wants to build muscles, burn fat, develop endurance and want to do not so traditional yet efficient training. It can be added to any types of workout routine, though.
And do not forget that it is possible to add or remove sand from the better models. Hence, they allow to increase or decrease the resistance to your fitness level.
Typical Sandbag Exercises List
From the following chart you can learn the most well-known moves that you might include in your workout program.
If you want even more proof of how versatile gear the bag is, just watch the following video in which you will learn a lot of powerful drills.
Ultimate Sandbag 300 Workout Challenges
Before showing you a few routines, I’d like to suggest you an ebook. This is a PDF manual that comes with 12 downloadable workouts and other tips created by the experts of the Ultimate Sand Bag team. If you need an all-in-one course to get results I recommend it. Get more information here.
Sandbag HIIT Workout
And here is an example 30 minute full body sandbag interval workout routine that burns fat and develops your endurance and strength. Depending on your level, you may want to increase or decrease the reps and sets. This is an excellent home workout.
12-min Tabata Workout
The bag can be an effective alternative for free weights, and suitable for women as well. This full body workout is a good example. It is perfect for shaping your legs, arms and back and for fat loss.
Wasn’t enough? Here is an excellent presentation form darebee.com. This sandbag workout is especially great for strengthening your core muscles.
Where to Buy Sand Bag
You can get the highest quality bag at ultimatesandbagtraining.com online shop here. There products are bit more expensive ones, but very high quality and you can choose form various sizes. For cheaper models read on.
One of the best sandbags for training at Amazon is the SKLZ that has the most positive reviews and beneficial features. And compared to other products the price is much lower, although SKLZ is maybe not enough for pros.
- Strategic handles are placed in various positions on the bag. They help you to grab the bag more comfortably. They are useful when you are swinging or lifting it.
- It comes with four 10 lbs weight bags that you can fill with sand. Keep in mind that sand is not included.
- You can remove these weight bags and fit them individually or all of them depending on how intense and hard workout you want to do.
- The bags feature zipper enclosure and are reinforced with Velcro.
- Made from sturdy materials for long lasting usage.
- The price is not bad.
- Keep in mind that changing the weight, filling the weight bags with sand, is time-consuming. Hence, do it before you start working out.
- A few users find a bit complicated to fit all the four weight bags in the outer bag and that the sand leaks out a little bit.
If you check out the customer reviews here, you will see that they are pretty positive, although a few users complain about the mention problems. So, SKLZ Sandbag may need some improvement, but you can send it back in case you are not satisfied with it since it comes with a warranty.
- DEVELOP EXPLOSIVE POWER. Use this multipurpose tool to work both your upper and lower body in countless training exercises. Develop all over strength, maximum power, and explosiveness with the SKLZ Super Sandbag Heavy Duty Training Bag.
- DURABLE OUTER SHELL. These weighted sand bags are made for the roughest and toughest drills. With a secure zipper closure, and Velcro reinforcements you can be confident that these training bags won't break or bust.
The sandbag is definitely an exciting equipment to work out with. It is an excellent alternative to kettlebells or dumbbells and has numerous benefits. Plus, it is versatile, portable and inexpensive. Workout with sandbags is something you should try.
Do you have any questions or opinion? Feel free to share with us below.
Did you like this guide to sandbag workouts? Share with your friends?
Last update on 2017-11-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API