So, you want to know what is the best sit up bench for home is.
Well, it is hard to tell since I don’t know you!
What is your budget? What’s your fitness level? Are you tall or short? Do you need a multipurpose bench, letting you have more types of strength training exercises?
And, these are just a few questions that you need to be able to answer to find the most suitable decline ab bench for you! An item that serves your fitness goals for a long time.
Within this guide, you will learn everything about sit up benches, so in the end, you have the knowledge that is required to choose the most beneficial piece for you.
What will you learn here?
- Reviews of the best sit up benches
- Buying guide
1. XMark Adjustable Decline Ab Workout Bench
Rating:| Best Adjustable Sit Up Bench
Considering the price, the functions, the design, and the user experience, this Xmark decline bench is my favorite.
This Xmark adjustable ab bench has 12 adjustable positions making it an optimal choice for anyone. The lowest level is useful for beginners, while the highest ones provide sufficient resistance for even pro users. The different positions can be easily set with the help of the lockable pop pin.
Also, this machine is ergonomically designed, so it reduces back strain during an abs workout. It also features unique, ergonomically positioned leg rollers, and the board itself is thickly padded for lower back comfort. The reverse crunch handle is useful for beginners to get off and on the bench.
- Many angles to choose from.
- 400 lbs capacity so suitable heavier users or for weight training
- Thanks to the thick padding and foam rollers, it is convenient to use.
- Because of the heavy-duty construction and ergonomic design, it does not wobble during usage. The stability is excellent and very safe to use.
- The ab board is rather long, making it suitable for taller users.
- A few users found it hard to assemble, although it comes with a detailed instructional manual.
- The plastic caps do not always fit and should be made from more durable materials.
- The lock pin should be made from stronger material.
Summary: This XMark adjustable bench is a well-designed item that provides a comfortable and effective abs workout.
2. Fitness Reality X-Class Multi-Workout Bench
Rating:| Top all in one exercise bench for home
Fitness Reality is a multi-purpose workout bench. You can use it as a weight, hyperextension, an ab bench. Its capacity is 650 lbs, so this equipment is suitable for heavy strength training as well.
You can alter it to flat and 3 decline positions. Hence, it’s suitable for dumbbell or barbell bench presses and other weight training exercises. However, the 3 decline positions don’t make it a highly-adjustable sit up bench on this list.
The back extension section lets us perform 45-degree hyperextensions. The thigh support can be adjusted in 14 angles, so you will surely find a level that suits your height.
This commercial sit up bench comes with two slip-resistant support handles that can be used for mounting and unmounting. Beginners can use it to perform push-ups as well.
It is thickly covered with 2.5 inches medium density foam, and the roller pads are covered with a 4-inch thick cushion. Hence, the Fitness Reality X-class bench is comfortable to use.
- Multi-purpose bench for abdominal, back, and other strength trainig exercises with dumbbells and barbell.
- The product can be used as a flat bench.
- The high capacity makes it a great choice for heavy and pro users.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
- Easy transportation, thanks to the wheels.
- Assembly is not complicated if you follow the manual.
- No wobbling.
- Because of the premium features, this item is more expensive than a single ab bench.
- The ab board can be adjusted only to 3 decline angles.
To sum up: The Fitness Reality X-Class Multi-Workout Bench is an excellent choice for ones who need multi-purpose exercise equipment for their home gym. However, for decline sit ups, there are better products on the market.
3. Apex Utility Slant Board
$49.99 in stock
6 used from $41.53
Rating:| Good choice only for beginners and light users.
The Apex Utility Bench isn’t an adjustable ab bench. The decline angle is 20-degree, which gives enough resistance for beginners. Someone who has been working out for some time won’t find that angle acceptable.
The ab board is 51 inches long, and 13 inches wide, so even tall and big guys have plenty of room to exercise. You don’t have to be afraid of hitting your head to the ground. The backboard is padded with foam covering for comfort.
It has a heavy-duty steel frame. The maximum capacity is 250 lbs. That’s plenty for most of us, but not suitable for weight lifting exercises or too big guys.
You can also adjust the leg support in 3 positions to find the most comfortable fixing for your legs. Though the roller pads are covered with hard foam, so they aren’t very convenient. Some roll up a towel on them to make it more comfortable.
- Large backboard
- Adjustable leg rollers
- Limited weight capacity
- Uncomfortable foot holders
- No adjustability
- Limited resistance
- Not folding
Verdict: Apex Utility Slant Board is a cheap ab bench with minor problems. I recommended it only for novices and people under 200 lb.
4. Relife Foldable Sit Up Bench
6 used from $60.98
Rating:| A curved sit up bench suitable for average height and fitness level people.
The Relife adjustable ab bench is another affordable fitness equipment that includes elastic ropes. It’s compact and foldable.
The size of the backboard is 41″ by 13″. The width is great, but the length is quite short. Hence, it’s only suitable for short or maximum average height user. Also, the backrest is a bit curved, which helps to perform the sit ups more correctly and also allows us to do hyperextensions on the bench.
The board can be adjusted from 25-35 inches from the ground. The positions aren’t very steep, so the advanced users may find it easy to use. Hence, I recommend it for beginners.
The knee and feet holders are adjustable and padded with foam for comfort. But, they move to sides a bit during the abs workout, which is annoying.
Relife is a folding ab bench, which makes it easy to store. However, collapsing the machine isn’t very straightforward.
Finally, it includes resistance bands, but they are low-quality ones. You’d better not use them since many customers complain about tearing.
- Wide and adjustable backboard
- Easy storage
- Curved design
- Limited max user weight
- Not easy to fold
- Limited resistance
- Not long enough for tall men
- Useless resistance bands
To conclude: The Relife folding slant board is an affordable piece of ab exercise equipment that is good for novices and short people. Tall guys, heavy users, and pro athletes shouldn’t purchase it.
5. Stamina Pro Ab/Hyper Bench
1 used from $107.53
Rating:| Ab and hyperextension bench for the average Joe.
Stamina Pro is an ab hyperextension bench that includes a decline sit up and hyperextension section. But since the capacity is just 250 lbs, it is not recommended to use it as a weight bench or for heavy men.
The abs training section can be set in 4 levels (flat, 3 declines). The maximum is 30-degrees. The hyperextension section (45 degrees) isn’t adjustable, but the footrests are so that you can set them to your height.
- Considering the price, functions, and used materials, it’s useful piece of equipment. It provides a comfortable and efficient abdominal and lower back workout. Its dimensions and the foldable function makes it the right choice for those having a little space.
- Thanks to several adjustments, it can be set in several ways to make your training more intense or to suits your height.
- The maximum capacity is just 250 lbs, and that means it doesn’t fit for heavy men or for those who want to use it as a workout bench. However, with light dumbbells, it can be used.
- The length is maybe short for a taller user (over 6-feet)
- The locking system could be much better. A few users have experienced that the pins and rods loosened up while they were using the machine. This problem can be quickly solved if bolts or nuts were used.
Features & Specifications
- 5 adjustments for the board
- Durable stitched vinyl extra thick upholstery
- 2″ sturdy steel frame
- Thick pivoting foam rollers
- Non-slip footrest
- Adjustable footrest, backrest and thigh support
- 5 years warranty on the frame and 90 days on other parts
- Maximum user weight: 250 lbs
- Dimensions: 56 x 27 x 35 inches
Verdict: Stamina Pro Ab/Hyper Bench gives total core training since we can do both abdominal and back extension exercises. However, it’s small and has a limited weight capacity.
6. XMark Ab, Hyperextension and Preacher Curl Weight Bench
Rating:| A professional workout bench with multiple sections.
Well, I put this combo ab machine on my list because this exercise equipment is more than an adjustable sit up bench, although the price is higher.
XMark Fitness XM-7631 is packed with multiple sections. It is a decline sit up, hyperextension, and an adjustable workout bench. Plus, it can be used for preacher curls. It is a handy piece of equipment for a home gym.
The weight capacity is 1500 lbs, which is far enough for home workouts. You can adjust the board to a flat position, place it in a power cage, and you are ready to make bench presses with a barbell. It includes built-in transfer wheels, so moving it is easy as well.
Another important feature is the function that allows making the hyperextension exercise. This activity is the best move to strengthen your lower back, which is usually neglected. Though, it is an essential part of the core. The hyperextension bench can be adjusted in 5 incline positions. So, it allows getting a resistance level that suits you the best.
The manufacturer added extra thick cushion to the rollers and the pad. The leg rollers are oversized with 4.33-inch vinyl and foam. While the board is covered with 3 inch thick Duraguard cushions. So, this model is comfortable to use and protects your back, ankles, and feet.
- It enables you to do more types of exercises than with a typical abdominal bench.
- Even if it is packed with extra functions, this item is not so big and can be moved around quickly thanks to the wheels. Its compact design makes it a proper choice for small places.
- Adjustable so you can set to your height and for your desired resistance level.
- It has a barbell holder.
- Heavy-duty and sturdy, users do not complain about wobbling at all.
- Comfortable to use protecting your back and legs.
- Compared to other products here, this gym equipment is more expensive.
- Not foldable.
To conclude: If you are searching for a multipurpose workout bench for your home gym, look no further.
7. Pure Fitness Ab Crunch Bench
$79.96 in stock
The Pure Fitness Bench is a mini sit up bench with a fixed board. Although the angle of the back pad is quite steep, so it gives enough resistance to strengthen your abdominal muscles. We can adjust the high-density foam ankle and knee rollers in 4 positions to find the most suitable fixing.
The bench is small made for people who have limited space at home. The length of the equipment is 51″, and 20″ wide. The backrest is just 24″ long. Also, it is folding so you can store it, for example, under your bed. But, because of that compact dimensions, this ab crunch bench is only suitable for short people.
The solid steel frame can stand 250 lb user weight. Although, heavy people may experience wobbling since the front stabilizer is short.
- Acceptable angle
- Suitable for only short people
- No adjustability for the board
- Rocking under a heavy user
Verdict: The Pure Fitness mini bench is compact and folding, so it might be the right choice for someone living in an apartment. But, considering the features, it’s only fitting for novices and short trainers.
Ab Bench Buying Guide
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Shopping
- Is the maximum weight limit proper for me?
- Is it long enough for my height?
- Does it provide adequate resistance for my decline ab bench workout? Are the adjustments fitting for my fitness goals?
- Will I have plenty of space to use and store it? Do I need a foldable bench?
- Do I want to use it only for ab training, or I need a more versatile workout bench for strength training?
- Is it suitable for my level of fitness? (If you are an advanced athlete, you need advanced core workout equipment).
Types of Ab Workout Benches
They have an adjustable backrest that you set into different levels. Usually, we can choose from 6-8 settings, but better products have 10-12. The settings are somewhere between 10 to 50 degrees.
The main benefit of this type is that you can choose the optimal difficulty for your ab workout. Also, in the long run, it will support your development as you can switch to more difficult degrees from time to time. The top choice if your main goal is to strengthen your abs.
As the name suggests, this sort of ab bench comes with a fixed backrest. Hence, you have to train at the same level of resistance all the time. This type costs less, but the least versatile.
As you see from the reviews above there are benches with additional functions.
A sit up hyperextension bench features 45 degrees back extension and sit up sections. This way, you can have a complete core training targeting your entire midsection and even your hams and glutes. The downside of this type is that they support only a few levels for decline bench sit ups.
Other benches – for example, the Fitness Reality Bench – can be used as a bench for weight lifting.
How is that possible?
You can set the back pad into flat and decline positions to do such exercises like the bench press. Also, they have a high maximum weight capacity (over 600 pounds) thanks to a robust steel structure.
Of course, multi-purpose benches are more pricey, but they substituted multiple pieces of exercise equipment.
Commercial ab benches are high-end items that are made for commercial gyms. Hence, they have a stronger frame, more adjustments, better stability, and other professional features. Of course, they are more expensive than the ab benches for home.
Essential features of decline sit up bench
The size of the board
Most of the benches are made for average height people. But, if you are taller than average, you should look for a board with extended back support. A short board is not only uncomfortable but also dangerous if your head hits the floor. So, check the size carefully.
The used materials for the frame
The best sit up benches are made from heavy-duty steel, so their weight capacity is rather high about 250-300 lbs. That is enough for most of the users. Yet, if you want to use it as a weight bench, higher capacity is required. Those more robust ab machines are a bit more expensive, but they are more versatile and gym-quality machines.
The cushion of the board
The thickness of the cushioning is a significant factor. If it is not deep enough, it may hurt your back, but the too thick cushion is also not very comfortable. I think 2-3 inch thick foam padding is sufficient.
The number of adjustments
To tell the truth, I do not recommend that equipment that is not adjustable. Sooner or later, you get used to the same training, and you will not be able to give the resistance for your abdominal muscles to grow. So, get an adjustable bench that comes with at least 4 levels, but the more, the better.
Minimal wobbling is inevitable, but it should not be too much.
Tilting and moving can happen for three reasons:
- You place the bench on an uneven floor. An easy solution is placing a thick rubber mat under it. That usually solves the problem.
- The other reason is the poor assembly. Check if all the bolts are tight, and all the parts are the right place.
- The third reasons come from the structure of the product. For instance, the stabilizers are not wide enough, so the bench swings to sides. Or, the equipment is too lightweight.
Typically, you do not have to an expert to put an ab crunch bench together, but the devil never sleeps. It is not rare that a bolt, a washer, a nut, or another tiny part is missing. Also, do not forget you need at least an adjustable wrench and screwdriver for assembly.
Quick advice: Only tighten the bolts totally when you are ready with the assembly.
The price of an ab workout bench depends on various factors.
A heavy-duty, commercial sit up bench with solid steel construction costs more than a lightweight piece you can get at your local store.
The thickness and durability of the board, the number of adjustments, and the additional functions each mean extra cost.
I’m sure you have heard a million times that what you pay is what you get, but it is true. I know it from my experience. My first adjustable sit up bench was about 30 bucks. After two months of painful usage, it found itself in the garbage container.
A reliable item is at least 100 dollars.
Xmark Fitness: This manufacturer has adjustable benches with the most levels. Their high-end and heavy duty ab bench, Xmark XM-4416, has 12. These items are comfortable and give great training experience.
Fitness Reality: They have one product, the Multi-Workout Abdominal/Hyper Back Extension Bench, which is my personal favorite. Great bench for a home where size matters.
Sunny Health & Fitness: This manufacturer makes affordable benches with simple features. However, customer reviews are excellent.
Stamina: Their Stamina Pro Ab/Hyper Bench is a top-rated home exercise equipment among ladies.
Marcy: Their abdominal bench is the cheapest option, but users like it. I only recommend it for beginners.
How to Use Effectively
Having a quality adjustable decline ab bench provides you a lot of possibilities to train your body at home.
For your core muscles, you can do sit-ups, crunches, leg raises, knee raises at various resistance levels, or by using hand weights. For your oblique, you can get oblique (Russian) twists or decline crunches. If equipment comes with a hyperextension function, you can train your lower back and hamstrings. So, it enables you to target your entire core. Learn more about the sit up bench exercises here.
If you have a pair of dumbbells, you can do chest exercises like decline or incline dumbbell chest presses or flyes. If it comes with handlebars, incline push-ups can be done as well for the upper body. For you back, you can make dumbbells rows in flat or decline positions. And for your shoulder, get shoulder presses.
So, a decline sit up bench lets you add a lot of ab exercises for your home workout routine to build strong abdominal muscles and tone your body.
But, it is critical to learning how to do these decline ab bench exercises correctly.
Many customers say they do not like using the sit up bench because they feel pain on their back. That is because they do not perform the move correctly.
Learn how to do decline bench sit ups properly to avoid back pain.
Alternative Ab Exercise Equipment
Doorway situp bar
It’s a very compact and portable alternative. You need to place under the door and righten the knob. It gives support to perform the sit ups on the floor more conveniently, but not as comfortable and versatile as an ab bench. Check out the Body-Solid situp bar here.
Vertical knees raise station (Captain chair)
With the help of this exercise equipment, you can do knee and leg lifts. So instead of using your upper body as the resistance, you use your lower body. It’s a very powerful exercise to build strong core muscles and shape your lower abs.
To sum up
I’m sure now you everything about the best sit up benches, so the choice is yours. Now you can filter out the products that are suitable for you and which are not. If you still have questions, feel free to ask below.