To tell the truth, I’m a great fan of charts and data. That is how I stumbled upon this picture that is about how many percents of the 15 years old smoke at least one cigarette a week in some countries. There are some shocking statistics.
As you see there are some countries, mainly in Europe, where over 20% of the teenagers smoke at least once a week. In Lithuania, Romania, Hungary, Latvia, Estonia and Austria the rate is close to 30%! Fortunately, in the USA it is under 10%. However, it is a fact, that every day 4000 teens try their first cigarette, and about 1000 begin puffing every day.
Why in some countries the rate is so high? It is hard to tell, but I think it is mainly about the traditions and because of the bad anti-smoking campaigns of the certain countries.
I was about 14 when I tried my first cigarette, but fortunately it was a bad experience. In addition, at the age of 14 I was really interested in working out and football. In addition, my friends did not smoke either, though my father did.
I think, mainly parents and the school is responsible for teaching kids. Parents must the role models! If somebody in the family smokes, but tells the kid “You must not smoke because of this, and that” his words have no weight.
Finally, some interesting facts about smoking.
- Did you know that in the USA smoking causes the one in every five deaths?
- One cigarette means 11 minutes minus from your life!
- One cigarette contains about 70 types of cancerous chemicals.
- Over 15 billion cigarettes are smoked every day worldwide that means two pieces for everyone in the world.
- If people got rid of smoking, alcohol and bad eating habits, over 30% of cancer can be prevented.
A shocking video for smokers.
Did you like this post? Share with your friends.