When I first heard the phrase zero calorie foods, I thought it is too good to be true. And after researching the topic a little bit, I realized that there is no such thing. Simply, because not matter what you eat, they have calories.
However, when you eat them, they have such effects on your body that you burn more calories than you consume. It is the so-called negative caloric effect.
The best negative calorie foods are the various vegetables and fruits. Not just because they help to lose weight, but because they are nutritious. They are rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals and other components that make you healthy. That is why they must be the largest part of your diet.
Reasons why you should consume zero calorie foods
- They have positive effects on your mental health. They help to reduce stress, depression, etc. And they contribute to focus better.
- They reduce the cholesterol level of your body naturally.
- The components of these calorie free foods regulate the sugar level in your blood.
- They have detoxification effects. They cleanse your liver, the organ that is responsible for getting rid of toxins and breaking up fat. So, they support fat loss as well.
- They are rich in fiber that helps colon cleanse. Because of the fiber, you also feel satisfied faster and longer, so you will eat less food. As a result, you lose weight and have better digestion.
- Negative calorie foods, because of their valuable components, make your hair, skin and nails beautiful and healthy.
- They naturally boost your metabolism which is one of the most important factors of burning more calories naturally.
- If you consume these foods that have no calories, your circulation system will be better as well.
- They regulate your appetite and assist to get rid of the extra water from your body.
- They also reduce the risk of cancer.
What a long list of benefits, isn’t? As you see, foods with zero calories are the magic of nature, and they must be on your plate.
The following zero calorie food list infographic will teach you everything you need to know about them.
What foods are low in calories
Well, we have to understand that no matter what we eat or drink, it contains calories. However, during the digestion, these, mainly low calorie diet foods, have such effects in the body that the result is negative calories.
Now let’s get more details about very low calorie foods.
1. Green Tea
Green tea is packed with a wide range of antioxidants among them the EGCG which promote fat burning. It is also excellent prevention for cancer, heart diseases, and many mental illnesses. I believe it is the healthiest drink we can have.
2. Whole Wheat Bread
A vital part of a healthy diet is dietary fiber that keeps the digestive system healthy. Also, it supports weight loss because foods rich in fiber satisfy us faster, so we eat less. Whole wheat bread is packed with fiber, also lower in calories, because of the complex carbohydrates, and vitamin B, iron, magnesium.
Like other seafood, salmon is rich in healthy fats such as Omega-3 that also help to lose weight. It is also an excellent source of various minerals, vitamins, and proteins.
4. Garlic & Onion
While they have not the best smell, both veggies hold minerals and oils that help the body to break down fat. They also naturally increase the metabolic rate which leads to even better fat loss.
It is my favorite vegetable. Broccoli is nutrition bomb packed with everything to make your body healthy and lose weight. It boosts your immune system, curbs overeating, prevents cancer, fights diabetes, etc. Listing all is hard.
6. Berries – All
No matter which you consume, all the berries help you if you want to be healthy and burn fat. They are very high in a wide range of nutrients so help your body to function healthily.
Yogurt is high in protein, calcium, minerals, and vitamins. Also, yogurt contains a lot of live bacteria that supports your digestion system so that it works more efficiently.
8. Orange, Grapefruit & Lemon
Thanks to the components orange support your health in various ways. It lowers cholesterol level, alkalizing, prevents cancer, etc.
It is packed with fiber and super low in calories. It only contains 21/100g. I think you have already heard about the cabbage soup diet. I do not recommend it since it just brings a short period of weight loss. Also, this diet does not provide enough calorie that an adult requires daily.
However, including the cabbage in your healthy eating plan is a great idea.
Beetroot holds about 35/100g calorie which is still very low. It includes various components that can help you a lot to be healthy and lose weight.
Cucumbers have very low calorie content. There is only 10 in 100g which is almost nothing. On top of that, it promotes digestion, fights cancer, reduces cholesterol, controls blood pressure, etc.
Spinach is such a veggie that helps you to be healthy mentally and physically. It is packed with tons of valuable components.
Among the low calorie fruits, watermelon is my favorite one. Thanks to its high water content it helps to wash your body (kidneys) from unwanted toxins.
If you are tired of working out, just have apple since it helps to get rid of tiredness. It also supports your digestive system because if its fiber content.
To sum up
- So, the best sources are the fruits and vegetables, because they are low in calories, and they are full of beneficial nutrients. Some of the best greens are the cucumber, broccoli, celery, cabbage, beetroot, asparagus, tomato and so on. We can make fantastic salads from them or even smoothies. The calories in vegetables are really low.
- Fruits have almost the same low calories. Since they are more delicious than the veggies, it is easier to have them each day. And we can also make yummy homemade juices from them. They are also perfect for calorie free snacks. Some fruits with zero calories are the berries, melons, apples, citruses, etc.
- Other healthy non fattening foods that support burning body fat are the ones that are high in protein but low in unwanted fats such as fish and lean poultry. Plus, the ones that are rich in healthy carbs such as whole wheat products, oat, and brown rice.
I hope that list of zero calorie foods have helped you, and now you will be able to set up your balanced diet to avoid diseases and lose weight. You can find a lot of recipes online to make delicious recipes from them. It is your turn now to change your eating habits.
Did you find negative calorie foods list useful? Don’t forget to share with your friends.
Last update on 2019-12-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API